PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

Sei's Avatarhypermode-12.pngSei
retiredstaff.pnghypermode.pngmaster.pngc.png

QUOTE originally posted by Wardove

[--snip--] You guys're gonna redo all the melans? O.O *crosses fingers for darker/sharper Togetic* I look forward to seeing all the revamped sprites!
It's been stated a buncha times albinos and melans are getting a serious rehaul since there are a lot of problems with them. Alola is where we really got the flow of everything and settled on the "Albinos follow the normal sprite patterns, and melans follow the shiny sprite patterns" thing. So, for example, Vulpix. Normal Vulpix's body is reddish-orange, and its tails are in the same family, leaning towards red. its tails are darker than the body - so the Albinos tails are darker than the body while still being relatively close. Shiny Vulpix's body is yellow and its tails are gold in color, relatively close palettes, but the tail is still darker than the body. So we had to lighten up Melan Vulpix's body a bit and chose a similar tinted tail color for the tails. However, since Albino (technically leucism on our site, but it'd be too late to change what we call them) palettes are generally pale in color, we adjusted the formula a bit as evidenced by new sprites. Same for our Melans. Since Melans are literally Shiny Albinos, we figure it's alright to get a bit creaive with them while still sticking to a bit of consistency. But.. yeah. A lot, and I mean a lot of melans have really weird colorations, especially ones an ex staff member did. it's very prevalent in the first three generations, where things are overly saturated, use really dark colors, or even remove some shading and have no sense of 'order'. skarmory is a good example of not really making any sense and using a very saturated color. You can see the old Skarmory was very, VERY dark in coloration and the blue is so saturated it just clashes. Skarmory is a very light colored pokemon, so the melan shouldn't be so incredibly dark. This was.. very obviously adjusted with the new melan sprite. :> So.. yeah. Sorry for rambling - basically, yes. A lot of melans are getting redone. We're going to try and keep to the old schemes as best we can (obviously adjusting so it's not straight black or overly saturated), but in some cases the old schemes just don't end up working and we need to adjust for consistency. I do hope me explaining things help with you guys understanding the reason why things are done and not just done on a whim. A lot of thought and love gets put into this - and all of us are volunteers. I feel it speaks volumes of how much we want to make PFQ an amazing site everyone can enjoy.

QUOTE originally posted by Alchemists Fire

QUOTE originally posted by Sei

Nah. tbh I'm not a huge fan of brown, but I won't stagnate my art team by saying "NO. ABSOLUTELY NO BROWN. EVER." When brown works, it works - like it did with everything recolroed so far. keep in mind you're only seeing a small sample size of the melans and albino revamped - there's still over 800 sprites to go.
Again, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying no brown ever either. What I'm trying to say is that I hope it's not 100% brown recolour, I hope there are still going to be some black/charcoal/grey melans.
No, I didn't misunderstand you - I told you that you were looking at a small sample size which happened to include brown into the mix. I can understand, from seeing this, that you might be under the impression that more sprites would include brown in them. All I said was that "if it works, it works, and no, not all melans will be brown in the future".

QUOTE originally posted by Kodiak

I personally adore browns, and greens, so I love the new Melan Vulpix line! All the sprites in the past week have been fantastic, but I have to nitpick on Chimecho's Melan. Maybe it's just me, or my eyes, but the purple on the tassel(?) blends in too much with the dark grey above it. Vanillite's line is adorable, I'll be hunting for that chocolate ice cream in the future. >:)
Yyyyeah, Chimecho is another example like Skarmory. Too dark, too much saturation in other areas. It's gross and will be killed adjusted.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page