PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Regarding Art Theft

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive > Regarding Art Theft >

Uzumi's AvatarUzumi

QUOTE originally posted by Amitia

Uzumi;; I mentioned Tumblr as that bad example precisely for the reason that people post whatever pictures they find however they want. [...] I just pointed out that it happens uncontrollably and fighting against it might mean banning most of the people who join PokéFarm Q.
But shouldn't we avoid being like Tumblr? It's a bad example for exact this reason and we don't want to be like that, so we do what we must to not end up like that. Of course it's hard to actually go against it, but doing nothing would be worse. Not only morally speaking but as often mentioned: it's against the law. And I don't think that users will be permanently banned because of not reading and doing it right away (Mods may correct me), but they did agree to the rules and the rules include the British law. Copyright IS law, so they have to agree to this.

Crediting is what I find reasonable. But posting the original source and the permissions is what I disagree with. The source is sometimes someone's private Photobucket account. And I would not like to post screenshots of private discussions to prove that I have a permission to display something.
The problem is: Mods have to make sure that you're not lying about having permission, and you HAVE to have a permission does this make sense? or else it's art theft and in the worst case scenario it ends up like in the article linked in the first page. This is a possibility the Mods can't just ignore, a few thousand Dollars/British Pounds aren't easily to come by.

Also, I doubt I could get a hold of Rumiko Takahashi to ask if I can use one of Ranma 1/2's characters as my avatar. Of course I will credit her. But getting a permission is practically impossible.
Don't worry, the mods doubt this, too (I'm talking about the part with the Southpark gif). You only have to state that it's official.

I know that some people have serious issues with their art being displayed in places. But that is the drawback of internet in general; if you put something in, you can never get it out.
I agree that this is the current state, but that doesn't mean that this is okay and should be acceptable. Besides there's still the law, artists still own their art even without plastering it with watermarks and this is something that has to be respected. And at some point you need to start to teach that to others or else it will stay exactly like it is right now.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page