PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

wikiHow To: Edit the PFQ Wiki

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Guides >

Uzumi's AvatarUzumi
Welcome to this handy wikiHow that will definitely not look like a wikiHow. I just thought it would be a fun title. This guide will explain for starters how to work with and, more importantly, edit the PFQ Wiki. It'll be full of lists because I love lists. Table of Contents
  1. What is a Wiki?
  2. What belongs into a Wiki?
  3. I want to edit the Wiki, but I don't have any experience!
  4. I need help with formatting!
  5. Important points when editing/writing a Page
  6. Discussions
  7. There's a mistake in the Wiki, what should I do?
  8. There's information missing on the Wiki, what should I do?
  9. There's a page missing on the Wiki, what should I do?
  10. I'm done with editing, what now?
  11. Extra: How to find pages that needs editing (Not done, yet)
  12. Extra: Userpages (Not done, yet)
  13. Frequently Asked Questions (Work forever in Progress)

What is a Wiki?

What is a Wiki?

"Wikipedia is a free-access, free content Internet encyclopedia, supported and hosted by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation Niet. Almost anyone who can access the site can edit almost any of its articles." (Source: Wikipedia, slightly edited) In other words, a Wiki is:
  • Free
  • Everyone who can access it also can edit it

What belongs into a Wiki?

What belongs into a Wiki?

Information. Everything about PokéFarm Q belongs in the PokéFarm Q Wiki, this includes:
  • Mechanics (Breeding, Shiny Hunting...)
  • Pages (Lab, Shelter...)
  • Staff
  • NPCs
  • Items
  • etc.
But the most important thing that belongs on the PFQ Wiki are:
  • FACTS. No opinions, no theories. A Wiki is supposed to inform not to assume or tell the user what to do. We're professionals, aren't we?

I want to edit the Wiki, but I don't have any experience!

I want to edit the Wiki, but I don't have any experience!

Not a problem! The PFQ Wiki was also the first Wiki I ever worked on and now look at my Userbar. So let me tell you my way to a Wiki Editor:
  • Start small. Just make a few changes, valid changes, to get used to your name appearing on the Recent Changes. I started with adding points to a list stop laughing at me, filling some tables that missed some information or fixing typos.
  • Look at others. On the Recent Changes page you can see what kind of changes are done and what kind of changes are rolled back. You can click on the "diff" next to a change to see the difference between the edits.
  • Ask questions! The people on the Wiki have the same username on PFQ, though some of them could dislike PMs. But I can tell you that it's always safe to send me a PM about any questions and I'm sure my fellow Wiki Editors feel the same way. So if you don't understand anything or if you're unsure about something just shoot me a PM.
  • Read this Guide till the end. Why are you even looking at this if you don't plan on doing it.

I need help with formatting!

I need help with formatting!

Formatting is used a lot on pages, I mean, just look at how many different formatting things I used on this guide! Anyway, I'm sure you want a list, so you get a list. Nope, this time you won't. How did this got long enough for Hide-boxes sorry apparently accordions don't work inside of an accordion.

Headings

Headings

Headings are used when a new subsection is started. Headings are automatically linked in the Table of Contents at the top of the page. Headings are made like this: ==The usually used Heading== Which looks like this:

The usually used Heading

The heading is supposed to be on the left side of the page, but I can't get this to work. There's a line beneath the heading that says that a new part of the page begins where a new subject will be explained. A smaller Heading can be made with ===This is for Subsections of a Heading=== Which looks around this:

This is for Subsections of a bigger Heading

Like already said, this is more used for subsections of subsections of a page. Kinda. These headings are shown as a "lower level" on the Table of Contents. Adding more = on both sides of the heading titles shows it as a deeper level in the Table of Contents but it won't appear different on the page itself. There is also a =Main Heading= which isn't used within the pages and is used for the title of the page that gets added automatically. For more information you can view the Formatting Help linked in the Text Formatting box.

Actual Text Formatting

Actual Text Formatting

]I'll keep this one short, use apostrophes for text formatting: ''Italic!'' using 2 apostrophes gives you Italic! '''Bold!''' using 3 apostrophes gives you Bold! '''''Now this is important!''''' using 5 apostrophes gives you Now this is important! To make lists simply add a * for unordered and a # for numbered lists: *First of all *Second *And last Appears as
  • First of all
  • Second
  • And last
#Now this is really first #Second #And third Appears as
  1. Now this is really first
  2. Second
  3. And third
A more detailed guide to formatting can be found on MediaWiki, the package PokéFarm Q Wiki uses. Help: Formatting.

Adding Images!

Adding Images!

I usually only use two ways of adding an image to a page. The easiest one is: [[File:Avatar.jpg]] This would simply show the image within the text, in this case it could show within the text. Usually it is more likely used with smaller images or within a table. To show bigger images it's better to just add the thumbnail of it. The Wiki already provides the code when you upload the image: [[File:Default Skin.png|200px|thumb|right|The default Skin of PokéFarm Q]] Explanations of the code: Default Skin.png: Name of the file. 200px: The width of the image. thumb: This picture will have a border and the caption is added below it. right: This picture appears on the right side of the page. The default Skin of PokéFarm Q: Caption of the picture, chose this part to what is fitting. I took not so randomly an example from Site Skin, this page has more than one of such pictures. Now you probably noticed that you need the names of the images like "Avatar.jpg" and "Default Skin.png" these names are the names the pictures are uploaded with (or in some cases they had to be moved to this names). You can upload your picture on the Upload Page, it is important that all screenshots use the Default Skin. Please look first if it wasn't already uploaded, you can do this either through the File List or the Categories. A more detailed guide to images can be found on MediaWiki, the package PokéFarm Q Wiki uses. Help: Images.

Making Links!

Making Links!

A wiki page is full of links, usually the links link to other paged in the Wiki itself, this is easily done with [[Page Name]] Which ends up looking like this Page Name. (Clicking the Link will lead you to a random page.) But sometimes using "Page Name" doesn't work grammatically in a sentence. Let's say we need the link to say "Name of Page" but still link to Page Name. This can be simply done with this "code": [[Page Name|Name of Page]] It will now appear as Name of Page but would still link to Page Name (in this case it still links to a random page.) These two formats are the most used to link within the Wiki itself. But sometimes links from offsite need to be used. Let's say we want to link to PokéFarm Q: http://q.pokefarm.org/ Yeah, that's literally it. This will appear on the page as http://q.pokefarm.org/ with a small icon next to it marking it as an external page. Usually this is not the best way how a link should look like, it's better to hyperlink words: [http://q.pokefarm.org/ PokéFarm Q] Now it appears as PokéFarm Q. Waaaay better. It's just important to leave a space after the URL, URLs never have spaces in them, so there shouldn't be any confusion with URL and the displaying name. A more detailed guide to links can be found on MediaWiki, the package PokéFarm Q Wiki uses. Formatting Help: Links.

Important points when editing/writing a Page

About the writing:
  • British. Spelling.
  • Some decent grammar, we're not expecting perfect edits, but we can't accept it if there are too many mistakes.
  • Use the names that PFQ uses. This problem seems to occur mostly with EHP/LUP which doesn't exist on PFQ, it's EXP now.
  • No "You", the Wiki shouldn't talk to the reader. Instead it should be "the user" or "one".
About the formatting:
  • Check your formatting with the Preview function!
  • Link to other pages! If you're adding something about breeding that wasn't mentioned before then add a link to the breeding page. Not everyone is familiar with the breeding mechanics. (It is not necessary to link every "breeding", only once is enough. This includes any other page, breeding is just an example.)
  • Hide your spoilers! Anything that can't be found on the page itself but has to be figured out by the user is counted as a spoiler. Spoilers can be hidden with this code:

Spoilers

<spoiler show="What should it say to show the spoiler?" hide="What should it say to hide the spoiler?">Spoiler goes here!</spoiler>
About the content:
  • As already said: Spoilers are only allowed if they're hidden.
  • The new content should fit to the page. Don't add something that is better off on another page, instead add it on the other page and link it instead.
  • The content should actually be new. Please take the time to look through the page before adding something that is already written on another place of the page.
  • The content shouldn't be already on another page. Please use the search function to make sure that the content you're about to add isn't already written on another page. If it is, but you think it belongs on another page you're free to send a PM or open a Discussion. Please don't decide on your own if you don't have experience, yet.

Discussions

Discussions

Discussions are an important part to solve a problem. The Wiki is something a lot of people work on who may have different opinions. To talk about this there are so called "Talk Pages", those are special pages where one page in particular can be discussed. On top of every page is a Discussion tab that can be used to open a Talk page. They are usually used if there is a big change that needs to be made, information are needed or if someone is unsure about the pages content. There are two things that are important when using Talk pages as a newcomer: :A colon at the start of a paragraph moves the paragraph slightly to the right.
Aplied this will look like this. Adding another colon moves the paragraph even further to the right. This is often used to indicate that the response is from another user and not the same one as the first paragraph.
But if you start a new paragraph the colon has to be set again or your paragraph moves back to the left side of the page. --~~~~ is used to leave a signature. It can be accessed at the top of the text editor. Applied this will look like this: --Uzumi (talk) 22:44, 14 August 2014 (BST) The -- in front of it can be left out and it is possible to simply sign with ~~~~, the Username links to the Userpage and the (talk) links to the Talk page of the user.

There's a mistake in the Wiki, what should I do?

There's a mistake in the Wiki, what should I do?

You found a mistake? Awesome! (Well, not really but let's work with awesome.) So the first step is obviously to correct it, right? No. No, it really isn't. The first step is looking at it and asking yourself (or anyone else): Is this really a mistake? Do I know the real information, and really the real confirmed information? The best way to find it out is looking directly on PFQ. Confirm your information first before editing it. And confirm it on PFQ, PF1 is the wrong source! (In case of spelling mistakes: Am I sure this isn't just British English? Also if you're about to add EHP/LUP please don't. It's EXP now.) So you found out your information is the correct one? Edit it! Properly! So you found out the information on the page is the correct one? Let it go! So you couldn't find the information at all? Then you have three possibilities. The first, and probably easiest way would be to contact a Wiki Editor and ask them about it. You can also click "View History" at the top of the page and find out who added that information. Now you can contact the person who added this information at the first place, though not everyone might appreciate PMs, so make sure to read their About Me! The last possibility would be to start a Discussion, this should usually only be done if it's something big, so I'd advise you to ask someone else first.

There's information missing on the Wiki, what should I do?

There's information missing on the Wiki, what should I do?

First of all, make sure you understood the Important Points. Seriously, we can't accept an Edit that doesn't follow them at all. Now you made sure that the information is nowhere to be found on the Wiki? You made sure that it really belongs on the page you're about to edit? Really? Good. Now make sure that you have the correct information. Check PFQ again, look through every information you've got, make if it really from PFQ and NOT PF1. It is not necessary to have the complete information on something, other editors may work with your edit to make it something bigger. But it's important that it is correct and actually adds information to the page. If your edit ends up being huge, and I mean really huge, like... yeah look at some pages on the Wiki (and preferably not at the shortest ones) and if your edit is about that size: Consider adding it to a new page.

There's a page missing on the Wiki, what should I do?

There's a page missing on the Wiki, what should I do?

Don't start typing, yet! And more important: Don't add the page, yet! Please, take a look on this page. Does one of the pages sound similar as the page you plan on adding? Then look at that page and consider adding it there as more information. It isn't similar to any other pages? Make sure you'll be able to write a lot about the subject. Or at least a lot so that people can work with it when editing it further. Seriously, working on a whole page can be a lot of work, be sure you're ready for it. If you don't think you'll be able to write the page by yourself you can always post in the PFQ Wiki Discussion thread. Now you made sure it's something new and you have a lot to say about it? Great. I really hope you read the guide up until now, because at this point you'll need to know everything about editing a page and a little bit more:
  • Read the Important Points. Read them all. Read them before editing after editing and most important: after you're done writing. They're called Important Points for a reason (and this isn't because I'm not creativ about names)
  • Chose a fitting name for page title and headings, don't be creative. If you're writing a page about the DayCare then name it DayCare. And please call it DayCare and not Daycare. If you can't find out how to name a page then there is a high possibility that you went horribly wrong somewhere.
  • I can't stress this enough: Read. The. Important. Points. I kept them relatively short just read them.
  • Add fitting pictures to explain something. Make sure all screenshots made are using the default Skin.
  • Make sure you've got the real information.
  • Put some structure into your page. Make it easier for the reader to get to the information they want/need.
  • tbc?

I'm done with editing, what now?

Click Show preview, proofread it. Read the page slowly and even better: out loud. Make sure it follows the Important Points (you were waiting for this, weren't you?). Let someone else proofread it for you. Edits full of spelling and grammar mistakes reflect very poorly on the content. Besides the fact that we can't leave them like this. So yeah: Proofread it. And please do this in the Preview page, this is the page people actually see. If there are any formatting errors then this is the place where you find them. Don't sumbit changes before previewing your page. Add a Summary. A few words are often enough but please, add this. Click on "Show changes" to decide what to add to the Summary. But please add it. It's literally just one sentence and sometimes less, please take the time and add it. As a thank you for writing this guide or working on the Wiki or anything but please. Add. It. Decide whether it is a minor edit or not. This can be seen when clicking on "Show changes". Click Show preview, proofread it again. Make sure to remember the Important Points.
Uzumi's AvatarUzumi
Reserving another post because I'm pretty sure I'll need it at some point. This guide got kinda long after all. If there are any mistakes (spelling/grammar/content any of those!) please send me a PM! You can also post this here of course, but I usually reply faster through PM (even though I read both right away.) Do you have any ideas how to make this guide even better? Great! Please tell them! I actually don't really know what to put here I just thought it wouldn't really fit into the Guide-post. Maybe if the FAQ gets long enough it will be moved here? And/or the Extra points? Eh, it's open for the future.
Gøddest's AvatarGøddest
Hey Uzumi, thank you for typing this guide out, I hope that people will read this before they edit the wiki By the way, do you think that we should add wiki code guides on your second post? They are kind of confusing, Although the "Preview" button can help. Oh, I think we should also remind people that they should not add opinions in the wiki, the Wiki is not a guide or a place to express ideas!
"I wonder if I would also end up acting like that if I was faced with a weak opponent"
Eltafez's AvatarEltafez
I believe referring to this should be enough about Wiki codes.

Links

Helpful: PFQ Rules | Staff Roster | Help Forums | PFQ Wiki Fan-made Tools: Calculator Personal: Journal | Comic
Template © Eltafez
Gøddest's AvatarGøddest
@Elta: I am just afraid that people will skip through it in the wiki, maybe putting it here will be better. Its just an opinion, so feel free to reject it.
Eclipsehawk's AvatarEclipsehawk
How do you make a table for the wiki? nevermind
Journal
Message me
Art Shop
Shiny Hunt/Trades Shop
Credit
MishaBaby's AvatarMishaBaby
Nevermind, sorry! >,< ♥
Seeking lab born Vivillon of all colors to complete my collection; I can offer swaps of Meadow coloring. Just PM me. ♥  
HëartglöwAJ's AvatarHëartglöwAJ
This sounds great <3 I'm tottaly gonna help with that~ I've already started editing the mega stone page and updating it ^-^
magicswirls's Avatarmagicswirls
This is great and all, but I still can't find the Edit button... nvm figured it out
Profile picture credit goes to Nightmargin

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2019 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | WikiGet shortlink for this page