PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Add hover text to [item] bbcode

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions >

Kahuna's AvatarKahuna
The [item] bbcode is very commonly used in shops, trade threads, and other places in place of writing out full item names. The drawback to this use is that if you are not familiar with the item, you won't know exactly what it is. Personally, even having been on the site for a long time and dealing with most items, I still struggle sometimes telling certain items apart. Some examples: Many existing trades/shops solve this using tooltips, for example:
Inari's Lamp
Ugajin's Lamp
But there are a few issues with this:
  1. Tooltips are large and can get in the way, especially compared to the small images.
  2. This leads to more complicated code and more work to write out, especially when many items are being displayed.
  3. Users can just decide not to use it.
Compare the code: [item=Inari's Lamp][item=Ugajin's Lamp] vs. [tip=Inari's Lamp][item=Inari's Lamp][/tip][tip=Ugajin's Lamp][item=Ugajin's Lamp][/tip] So, I suggest that hover text is automatically added to the [item] bbcode. In other areas of the site, this type of hover text is achieved through the HTML "title" attribute - for example, when you hover over the star on a shiny pokemon in someone's party. It is non-obtrusive, as it only appears after you hold your cursor over the image for a short amount of time. I couldn't figure out how to screenshot without the tooltip disappearing but this is what I'm referring to.
If I forget to respond to a post or trade please PM me! I may have forgotten to subscribe. Avatar from Pokémon Showdown April Fools Day sprites, recolored by me.
skypony101's Avatarskypony101
I was typing out my big paragraph on how I was 50/50, but then i reread and understood that I was thinking you meant automatically add a tooltip like your example of
Inari's lamp
! I think adding something like that would be great honestly! But i think an issue that would come up is when people are using an actual [img][/img] link/code and not [item=], and that could cause confusion on why a hover text isn't appearing on the item (like with the shiny star). Of course the system can't tell if the image you used is the same one as one in the site so you can't really do anything about that sadly. However for things like the item code I can definitely see it working well since the system does know what image you're asking for when you use that code! All in all it's a good idea with what I can only consider to be minor drawbacks, but I do not know enough about coding to 100% say what will work or not
my avatar is a picture of my dog Tika, taken my me :) check out my dexing service! *
image made by me. shiny, albino, mega, and totem sticker from PFQ
click the counter to go to my profile and get your own! 15 TR types available
Kahuna's AvatarKahuna
I just realized from another thread that the currency [item] codes currently do this already. (hover over these) Not sure why these are different but hopefully this means that it would be feasible for all items!

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page