PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Forum Avatar Changes

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions >

veliona's Avatarveliona
Suggestion Title: Forum Avatar Changes Suggestion Summary: For a long time default forum avatars were the silhouette of a person, and they had a limit of 150x150 pixels. The default avatar can be hard to see on darker site skins, where you'd usually see just a white question mark, and the limit on an avatar's width and height leads to blurry pixels. I feel like avatars deserve a bit of a touch up.

Default Avatars

Default avatars should be a headshot/bust-up of a user's pokemon trainer. Websites like Dappervolk and Flight Rising (just to name a few) use a user's character or a pet for their forum avatar. I don't think there would be a problem getting this to work out, as I've seen discord bots like Dank Memer take images, edit them, and reupload them.

Instead of a limit of 150x150 pixels for forum avatars, it should be set to a width or height of 150px, adjusting to 150px in height if the height is greater than width, and vice-versa. There should be a byte limit too, to prevent big images taking a while to load in. Something like no images larger than 300 MB. The avatar at the top left of your screen can do it, so why not the rest of the forum avatars?
Positive points: For default avatars, it can be easier to see on darker site skins, and in my opinion, would look better as well. For avatars in general, it can lead to sharper images. Artists don't have to stick strictly to 150x150 pixel canvasses or resize their art as well. Negative points: Default avatar images taking up too much memory/too much to overhaul. It would make sense if it's too difficult to change all default avatars to something that is different for every user. Reason For Consideration: I think it would be beneficial for forum avatars in general if this was implemented! I once commissioned a piece to use as an avatar here, and when comparing the original to the 150x150 version, I noticed it was very blurry! If this was implemented, then I wouldn't have this problem, and artists don't have to shrink down avatars when uploading.
Übercharm

Übercharm

Account Upgrade

(: 0)

An overpowered charm that, when activated, massively increases your chances of hatching Melanistic Pokémon for 28 days.

Sells for 2,000

Lv. 100 — Locked
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
SteelPsychic
Happiness 27%
Rash nature
QuirkyRabbit's AvatarQuirkyRabbit
There is already something similar to what you're describing: the picture of the trainer on the Trainer Card. It's square and would make a good default avatar like you suggest. Now the question is if there is away to make that portrait translate into a default avatar. I don't know if that is possible, the technical gap here is probably the biggest hurdle. As for the resizing and stuff, and speaking as an artist, honestly it's on both the user and the artist to make sure avatars look good. If someone asked me to make something for them, if I suspected they want to use it for their avatar, signature, profile etc, I would clarify before even starting. (As a customer, you should also tell the artist if you have decided beforehand that you want to use this artwork for X purpose.) There are many ways to get artwork to look good at avatar size, it's a matter of using them on the artwork itself and not overhauling the upload/resizing system.
trade shop ☆ summon rerolls charms s/a/m/d and more!
art shop ☆ pixel art banners signs and more!
she/her avatar and signature art by me
veliona's Avatarveliona

QUOTE originally posted by QuirkyRabbit

There is already something similar to what you're describing: the picture of the trainer on the Trainer Card. It's square and would make a good default avatar like you suggest. Now the question is if there is away to make that portrait translate into a default avatar. I don't know if that is possible, the technical gap here is probably the biggest hurdle. As for the resizing and stuff, and speaking as an artist, honestly it's on both the user and the artist to make sure avatars look good. If someone asked me to make something for them, if I suspected they want to use it for their avatar, signature, profile etc, I would clarify before even starting. (As a customer, you should also tell the artist if you have decided beforehand that you want to use this artwork for X purpose.) There are many ways to get artwork to look good at avatar size, it's a matter of using them on the artwork itself and not overhauling the upload/resizing system.
the picture on the trainer card loads the same as the user's trainer! doing that would add another code for forum avatars. i just want to see a change in the original code in how it works ^^ i do see your point with the avatars! i originally came up with the idea because i realized how blurry non-pixelated avatars were. should have taken that into account, sorry!
veliona's Avatarveliona
bump!
veliona's Avatarveliona
bump
veliona's Avatarveliona
bump
veliona's Avatarveliona
bump
veliona's Avatarveliona
bump

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page