PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Are Type Races Dying?

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 12

Optimus Prime's AvatarOptimus Prime
This is a discussion thread about the current state of the type race. I've noticed in recent months the typerace participation across the board is abysmal. Yes sometimes 1-5 teams (and thats being generous) get their 100k points. But that's less than 30% of the userbase with teams getting all 10 frags. So I'm looking for people's thoughts because i would like to put forward a suggestion on making adjustments to the typerace. I have some ideas on why I think participation is low. But feel free to let me know your thoughts. These are in no order 1. The player base took a hard hit As many people know after the reboot was announced and the site crashed for two weeks a lot of people left. Making the playerbase smaller and thus lowering participation in the typerace 2. Lack of excitement for older players When I first started enjoying the typerace i liked looking forward to seeing what team id be assigned to each month. But after a user cycles through all the types it reapeats. Making that part predictable. it also prevents people from maybe being on teams with friends. 3. No reason to participate after 1500 points After 1500 points a user has no reason to continue earning points unless a raffle is involved. But thats not always the case. Some may argue "oh well itll help your team get the 100k goal" but if you're halfway through the typerace and your team only has 20% of the goal why continue? Why proceed to earn points when you can go back to a hunt you were doing or move on to something else. 4. Lack of raffles The raffles were a great motivator for people to get points to earn more entries. but ever since raffles have had standards not every team gets a raffle. Its unfortunate and definitely lowers a teams activity or a individual playerswill to continue once they get their 1500 points 5. Lack of a worthwhile first prize While the prize for first place is pretty cool to me. A lot of people think its lame and don't want to strive for first place. Would giving a better first place prize increase activity? Theres probably more. But ill think on them later
Art byme
HowlingCat's AvatarHowlingCat
Thought I will slide my personal opinion here as to why I don't participate in Type Race. 1. Z-Crystals. I will be honest with you. The only reason why I participated in the Type Race is because I just want one of every Z-crystal. Seeing now that I have all of them, I don't see a need to participate it further. Sure, I can sell the crystals/fragments to other users that need them. I can probably make a decent profit with them. However, I'm not really into the whole trading side of things when it comes to the site. I'm a bit more casual. I am also aware they (frags) do have another use and I could save them for that...but considering what it takes to get it, I don't feel the desire to try to participate in the type race just for the sake of getting that item. 2. Activity/Reboot I'm in my final year of college so I'm a bit more busy when it comes to things. Hence, why I been slow when it comes to updating stuff like the item table guide..speaking of which I need to go update that at some point. RL is distracting me to the point I keep forgetting to do things such as simply swap out what Pokemon are in my party. The knowledge of the reboot is also partially affecting my activity. Yeah, there's no set ETA on when it's coming but it did affect my desire to do too much when it comes to the site. At best, I mostly see the only main thing worth participating in is MCW and the first few weeks of the season of the tournament. 3. Lack of excitement. I never really felt...interested in the Type Race. There were nice when they started off...but after the while, it becomes a bit lackluster? The best way I explain is by comparing it to MCW. With MCW, i like the surprise of getting something new and mysterious. It feeds into my desire of pushing myself to click just so I can get whatever it is and pride myself for getting it. These are just my thoughts on my matter. I hope they make since. I'm kinda typing this half asleep.
Avatar of my oc was created by SaintNevermore! My Journal: [x] My Sprite Dump: [x] Cosmog Sprite Project: [x]
Opalide's AvatarOpalide
Lack of excitement is a big one for me. I use to be pretty proud of my type race scores, but there doesnt seem to be a lot of point anymore. After the shiny adjustments, I've definitely lost a lot of my interest in the site. Sure, the quantities of shinies was a bit silly, but it's a lot better than going through 100 eggs with full boosts and getting nothing. One team gets massively ahead and there's no way to catch up, usuaully. The time it takes to get Z-crystals means it's usually easier and more efficient just to purchase them from the market when needed. 100zc is usually not difficult to obtain, and crystals (with some exceptions) rarely go for above that. Adding to this, Z-crystals feel kind of redundant now. Before, they were a massive boost to albinos - and albinos were rare. Now, the albinos are common, shinies are rare, and there's not really that same drive to use them at all. At least, not for me. I think there's definantly something to say about the atmosphere of the site as well. It seems to be getting more and more apathetic and less excitable. There's been a lot less people on Discord lately, and quite a few large players have left now too. With the reboot, the slowing userbase, and the lack of faith in a lot of the new projects (melans being the one that jumps to mind) with things able to be changed at a moment's notice... Type race is usually the last thing on my mind, now.
Maleficent's AvatarMaleficent
Personally, I like how predictable the type cycle is because that gives me something to plan my hunts around. Like, if I know I’ll have Poison next month after Grass this month, I can safely invest in a Roselia hunt that spans two months instead of having to stick or break it because I got Fire or Ice. It would be nice to have some spontaneity, though. Tying into my last point, because I center my hunts around the race I tend to rack up a lot of points. But make no mistake, those high scores are mainly for me. Most of the time, my team never makes it to 100K
this month for instance. 7.4K points on my end and we’re still dead last
, so my reason for going past 1.5K is purely out of intrinsic motivation. I do it because I can. If we do manage to get to 100k, I consider that a bonus. Another thing to consider is that yes, while a lot of people have left and are leaving still, there’s also been an influx of new users thanks to the story ad. For those newbies who stick around long enough to encounter their first type race, if they don’t have a high Shelter Pass or adequate badges or even know about team threads, they’re not going to be much help. I've been here since the races first started and I didn’t join my first team thread til at least the fourth month in purely because I didn’t know such things existed. There's also the whole attitude about team threads in general. Certain types have people rushing to make them (there were 3 Team Flying threads up at the same time once) while others don’t get one til three days until the race because no one wants to host That Type™. Then there are also people who make the thread just to claim it and don’t or can’t update it when other people come in. In these cases, it’d be logical to just make another thread that's actually active and move everyone there, but that rarely happens because I guess it’s deemed unnecessary? And, of course, the whole raffle thing. That was a mess, and definitely lowered the community morale overall.

😈My Malicious Shop👿

box hunts, gems, s/a pokémon? MELANS?! all here!
I like my Pokémon &
KayLegg1997's AvatarKayLegg1997
The reason I still participate in Type Races is that I need three of each Type of Z-Fragment in order to get the Ultranecrozium Z. Next month,I'll be on Team Savage Spin-Out,and then Team Bloom Doom in December.I know this because I often look at my previous Type Race scores so I can predict which team I'll be on in the upcoming Race.I also sometimes hatch at least 1 Albino Pokemon of a certain Type depending on the Type Race Team I happen to be on,so I consider that a great bonus.
ScørKaji's AvatarScørKaji
i'm going to be honest, ever since the contest rules came into play due to the all-types raffle becoming a mess, i noticed the month directly after that nobody was rushing to make a thread anymore.
Hiya! I'm scor, it's nice to meet you! i'm non-binary now. Call me gender neutral pronouns!
template shop avvie is from 12doc 2019
hunt progress!
i play pokemon legends as scorkaji!
Template by CatEnergetic
Fuchsfee's AvatarFuchsfee
I'd also say that lack of excitement is a big one, but for a different reason than others have said so far. For me the community part was the best thing about the early Type Races. I loved how the team came together and motivated each other, shared their hatching achievements and helped each other out with breeding pairs or shelter passes. It was so much fun how the team really worked together as a team. Now I rarely see any type thread that's really active through out the race. It's mostly "hi, I'm on the team, hunting X" and then nothing any more. That really sadens me and steals my motivation to go all in. For the past few months I've just tried to get to 1,500 points and didn't really care after that. I didn't even make it to that goal this month. That's the first time I didn't reach the full personal goal.
Made by myself, only official game sprites used.
My username is German. Just call me Fox. Please check my S/A Shop.
Images used for avatar and signature Vulpix are official game sprites recolored by me.
cosmyn's Avatarcosmyn

QUOTE originally posted by Fuchsfee

I'd also say that lack of excitement is a big one, but for a different reason than others have said so far. For me the community part was the best thing about the early Type Races. I loved how the team came together and motivated each other, shared their hatching achievements and helped each other out with breeding pairs or shelter passes. It was so much fun how the team really worked together as a team. Now I rarely see any type thread that's really active through out the race. It's mostly "hi, I'm on the team, hunting X" and then nothing any more. That really sadens me and steals my motivation to go all in. For the past few months I've just tried to get to 1,500 points and didn't really care after that. I didn't even make it to that goal this month. That's the first time I didn't reach the full personal goal.
THIS. i hate when people just say "hey im doing this", enter the raffle, and then drop off the face of the earth. it really makes me kind of sad because they're not really part of a team and going through and clicking on people who really aren't doing much in the type race is kinda disheartening, especially when they're just in it for the raffle. they do just enough to qualify and then stop.
  • about
  • hunt details
  • credits
cosmyn || he / him my shop! / collecting all summons
not buying
selling characters
electric gem / shinx 5a / 2s x15 / x5 / x0
sojussimblr's Avatarsojussimblr

QUOTE originally posted by cosmyn

QUOTE originally posted by Fuchsfee

THIS. i hate when people just say "hey im doing this", enter the raffle, and then drop off the face of the earth. it really makes me kind of sad because they're not really part of a team and going through and clicking on people who really aren't doing much in the type race is kinda disheartening, especially when they're just in it for the raffle. they do just enough to qualify and then stop.
That's a large part of why I've been avoiding Type Race threads for the past few months - I've developed the same mindset as Maleficent and I don't want to, like, give the thread expectations I can't return.
  • Shop(s)
  • Best Melan Boy
  • Cutest Couple
They/them, for simplicity. Beathan sprite; egg sprites from Bulbapedia; Couple sprite
Optimus Prime's AvatarOptimus Prime
another thing ive noticed on this topic but didnt see mentioned. When a type race thread gets big and talks a lot i see that the mods step into stop it because its a lot of 'spam' and i can see that but i also think that for the minority of people who it would annoy theres a majority of people who enjoy the team interactione. I think one race where i was on a very active team a mod had to lock the thread for a bit of the race. And that was a little frustrating to the people on the team who craved the interaction. its unfortunate that the rules work this way because I think the typerace threads benefit from 'spam' Others might think differently.

Pages: 12

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2019 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | WikiGet shortlink for this page