PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Investigating the benefit of server-side caching

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 1234567

AHHH RUN's AvatarAHHH RUN

QUOTE originally posted by BendyDemon

All this talk about codes and bad codes kinda reminds me of an article I read about the Windows operating system and learned that it is really a bunch of newer coded stacked on top of older and possible defunct codes which explains the litany of....'issues'.
When you decide to do backend programming, you get thrown into a fiery pit and the only way to get out is to make a deal with the Data Gods where you're forced to give up your ability to write clean, scalable code. like the little mermaid giving up her voice There are actually so many random things that could technically cause this one that uh.. good luck, Niet. :')
I have harvested 8039 -type souls :)
Contîn's AvatarContîn
So in relation to lag, I don't know how or IF this helps Niet, but I have noticed for like a week now that Spinda and specifically Floette always seem to lag in the shelter. The other 29 'spawns' will show up like immediately, but those two specifically always lag a good 2 seconds or so behind everything else. I don't know if I am the only one experiencing this or not, but likely it is part of something you are already checking into. In case it wasn't though, or potentially is somehow related I thought I would let you know. Hopefully that doesn't come off as being rude or ill tempered. You staff members bust your collective butts for us.
anything you wish to know about me feel free to ask.
Shirarisun's AvatarShirarisun
i'm not sure if it's just me going crazy, but i feel like i'm getting exp much faster now? everything seems to be all good, with the exception of a few "pokemon/egg not valid" errors every now and then

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

No, that's just you clicking the Get More link before the system has actually received and processed your most recent set of clicks. This is a debouncing issue, not a desync issue, the fix for that is for me to have the UI disable the "Get More" link until all interactions are processed, but that's a minor thing for another time.
i do wanna note this too, since i read this i started slowing down my clicks on the last user on the clicking page so the server catches up before i move on. this also seems to be working very well when calculating my interactions but i am also getting a lot more "pokemon/egg not valid" errors that don't go away at all and just reset my clicks on the specific user it happens to over and over again and i have to move to the next page to get it to stop- edit: also sometimes a pokémon i drag into my fields "duplicates" and takes up a slot until i refresh
shira//any pronouns//-4 server time hunt journal
Collecting Teal Masks for future Ogerpon hunt! (1 so far)

pfp source | sprites from kirby super star
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]

QUOTE originally posted by Shirarisun

i'm not sure if it's just me going crazy, but i feel like i'm getting exp much faster now? everything seems to be all good, with the exception of a few "pokemon/egg not valid" errors every now and then
This would be an example of where the cache was used as a feature and not just an optional speed-up. EDIT: Also the gain of EXP being "faster" now is very possible! Without desyncs, every single point is counted. With desyncs, some points may have been clobbered if you clicked "too fast". Hope this helps! When a Pokémon is moved from the Party to a Field, it has a temporary "was in party" flag set on it, which continues to allow party interactions on it for up to 5 minutes. Without that, it will indeed throw an error if something got moved. Obviously I'll be looking into that, but I just wanted to offer an explanation first!
EDIT: I have pushed a hotfix that should resolve this issue.
EDIT: The additional cause of lag, which I mentioned over on our Discord server while it was happening, has been identified. For once, it was not my code! The server was running AWStats, which we didn't even use/need, and this would compile a report every night... at midnight. You know, when everyone is trying to play the game. This caused the CPU to spike to 100%, and led to massive lag for everyone else. AWStats has now been disabled.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Glacerteay's AvatarGlacerteay
when is this supose to be over!?!?!
Yuloooooo's AvatarYuloooooo

QUOTE originally posted by Glacerteay

In a few days when niet gathers the data he wants or when niet feels like ending it

Why do you seem so keen for me to stop testing things? Do you not want me gathering data to continue improving the game? Does the banner annoy you that much? Why? Please explain this negativity.
Contîn's AvatarContîn

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

Why do you seem so keen for me to stop testing things? Do you not want me gathering data to continue improving the game? Does the banner annoy you that much? Why? Please explain this negativity.
It's entirely possible perhaps that they are just experiencing more lag than the rest of us? I mean clearly I can't speak for Glacerteay, but I know I would be desparate to know when testing on a website I frequent was scheduled to end if I were in that situation.

QUOTE originally posted by Contîn

It's entirely possible perhaps that they are just experiencing more lag than the rest of us? I mean clearly I can't speak for Glacerteay, but I know I would be desparate to know when testing on a website I frequent was scheduled to end if I were in that situation.
I mean, that's a valid guess, but without any kind of explanation from Glacerteay we're never gonna know for sure. Which is not terribly helpful! :D
Contîn's AvatarContîn
very true lol

Pages: 1234567

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page