PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sleight of Heart -- [COMPLETED]

Forum Index > Other > Original Fiction > Completed Original Fic > Sleight of Heart -- [COMPLETED] >

KadiroKapira's AvatarKadiroKapira
champion.png

Final Part

Immediately, I stop concentrating and let my mind relax. It takes a few seconds, but the twinge near my temple dies down as well. It’s been a while since I tried testing the limits of my ability, and I remember why. That irritating pain in my head is no joke if I really press my awareness. A creepy sensation skitters down my spine when memories of the last attempt begin to surface but is quickly cut off by a sudden ringing phone. It takes a moment for me to realize it is Marilyn’s. I quickly snatch it from the nightstand and press the green icon on the screen during its second ring. “Yeah?” I answer in a hushed voice. “Go now,” she commanded. After a deep breath, I focus on the hallway again. It’s all clear outside. I pull open the door and sneak out into the hall, closing the door behind me as silently as I can manage while already stepping briskly toward the stairwell. Soon as I enter the stairwell, it becomes easier to sense movements on the first floor. I slow up descending the stairs when I sense two people walking the hall, heading away from the lobby. When I pass the second floor entrance, the movements of the pair seem to disappear at the same time. I still cautiously watch my steps while nearing the first floor. Even before I reach the door, I hear female voices echo just beyond. I don’t need my ability to know they had stopped to chatter in plain view of where I would enter. Also, I don’t need it to hear a door open above me and flip-flops clap into the stairwell. Hearing the steady clapping draw near sends my thoughts into a rush as I hug the door. I’m so screwed. With my back to the door, I stare back the way I came… waiting for the descending female to get me kicked off campus before my first class. “See ya,” I barely hear one of the voices in the hall echo before a door opens. A flip-flop clap later, another door opens. I nearly yank open the door to the hall and make a beeline to the lobby, no longer caring who catches a glimpse of my backside. Either way, I’m screwed. I barge into the lobby populated with half a dozen people, not including the person working the front desk and Marilyn standing in the middle of the room with her back to me. All eyes turn to me in that instance, and a second later, they go about their business as if I’m not standing there. “What the…” I mutter, edging toward Marilyn. I half expect the desk worker to jump down my throat, but not a word is uttered in my direction. “What’s going on?” I ask Marilyn once I’m within earshot. “What took you?” she asks, barely audible since her back is still turned to me. I start to answer when I realize she’s choosing not to face me. When I slowly step to her side, I can see a faint blue glow lighting her draping braids a moment before she turns away. Concerned, I reach out to grab her shoulder. “Don’t touch me,” she demands, and I pull my arm back. Funny thing though. I had no intention of pulling my arm back. It just happens of its own accord, and I don’t have the slightest clue why. Before I can question her about what’s wrong, the door to the guys’ side opens. Marilyn takes that as her cue to snatch her phone from my hand and hurry back toward her side. I want to follow after her, but my legs won’t move, and I swear I think I hear her whisper “I’m sorry” before she’s safely on her side of the dorm again. Mulling things over for several seconds, I can’t figure out a logical explanation to what had just happened. “Hey, dude. Where were you?” No sooner did the voice register in my ears, I spin around. Two steps close the distance. A renewed rage burns through my arm. With all the power my tightly clenched fist can muster, I punch the hell out of my roommate’s face.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page