PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Update to Art Rules

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Pages: 123

Rokon's AvatarRokon
Heyo, so, I've got an idea on how to improve the art rules. Not to say they aren't great already, but there's a small loophole which I've noticed-- editing the artwork. May seem kinda dumb and small, but consider it from the artist's point of view. What they're displaying is no longer your artwork, what you originally created and intended for them to share. It creates a distorted understanding of what your art is and is more or less false advertising. Do note that when I say editing, I mean things like colours, or adding accessories or other additional features. I don't really mean cropping (unless it's done to intentionally cut out an artist's signature, but that's in vio of the rules already afaik), or adding a border or something around it for your icon or whatever. While there may be a discussion of that, I'm referring to edits of the art that intentionally modify what the artist did to give a false perception of what the original art is. I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain can figure out that cropping or a background colour is not necessarily a reflection of the original art :d

If you're still having trouble understanding what I mean

I'd commissioned a piece a while ago for my PokeSona. I forgot to mention eye colour (which should be green-grey), so the artist used the colour (blue-violet) from one of the references I'd linked. I wanted to recolour the eyes so that it was accurate to my PokeSona, but the picture wasn't drawn with the intention of green eyes, let alone intended to be displayed with it. I could've gone forth and edited it, but that isn't fair to the artist or anyone viewing the art. The artist isn't expecting anyone to see green eyes, nor do they have any idea of the quality of my edit and if they believe it's a fair edit. And therefore, the person viewing the art now has a fake idea of what the art actually was, which for all they know is worse than what the artist's skill actually is. The solution to this was that I sent them a PM asking if I could recolour the eyes to green (and offered to let them do it, since I do know some artists don't mind edits but really don't like it when other people do them instead of letting them control how it looks). They said yeah, so I did it, sent them a screencap to make sure they approved of it, and they said they did so I saved the edited version.
As it stands, a person who does this is free to get away with it, since they have permission to use the artwork and there's no rule explicitly stating they can't make distortion edits. However, this act is still really disrespectful to the artist, and I believe that the artist shouldn't be screwed out of luck if they want to file a report. So... Eh, yeah. I'm bad at conclusions. Basically, my suggestion is to patch this loophole. Include a rule that says you need to ask the artist permission to do edits which would unreasonably distort the viewer's perception of the original art. That way, should an artist find someone hasn't asked permission, they have grounds to report them. (Though, please be more specific than "unreasonably distort"-- that's very vague, and while fine for my suggestion since I don't know what staff would consider unreasonable distortion, it leaves a lot of open and ugly room for debate.)
cee - he/she/they - 21 icon from Rachel and Jun youtube sig sprite by me stoked sparksurfer! everything i post is to be read in the flattest voice possible
Rokon's AvatarRokon
Bump Haven't heard any feedback on this, would be nice.
Maplefire309's AvatarMaplefire309
Support! I run an art shop, and if I saw somebody changing my art without asking, I would be mad, because in the first place, a change or 2 would be gratefully be done FOR FREE if they had asked. Also, I don't want people messing around with art without my permission, because they could do something innapropriate and get me in trouble because I made the art and MY signature is in the corner.
Morzone's AvatarMorzone
I'd support this. It's one of those things where you pretty much know it'll be ok to do (I mean, I really don't see someone making a huge fuss over a client who wants to change an eye color) but it's still important to ask permission first.
Avatar was created for me, the sprite in the avatar was made by WriterRaven
Score: 0
SoberPie's AvatarSoberPie
I support, I wouldnt want anyone editing my art without my permission either
icon by Tyler
Rokon's AvatarRokon
Bump
Corviknight's AvatarCorviknight
Support, it's basic courtesy to ask an artist before editing their art.
official project sekai art; icon is official TCG art
he/him + 22 + cst
Rokon's AvatarRokon
Bump
Late to post, but I do feel this topic should be acknowledged by staff. While rules are very clear about outright using art that you did not make, from what I saw nothing is mentioned regarding edits in that scenario. I don't know for sure, but maybe nothing is said because artists should decide what is and isn't okay to do with their art? If that is the case, I do think a rule should be added to specify that a scenario like you described is governed based on the artist's rules. I feel the asking permission for edits thing should be a site default if the artist doesn't have a rule regarding it. TL;DR: Support, but I feel like art permissions should be decided by the artists and I feel your suggestion should be for when the artist hasn't stated their stance on edits to their art.
Avatar drawn by me Art shop here!
Assassin2631's AvatarAssassin2631
I have to support. I may not be an artist, but it just plain makes sense, and is respectful to the artist.

Pages: 123

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page