PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 123··· 720721722723724··· 744745746

NORsevvy's AvatarNORsevvy
i'm once again super disappointed with a sprite update :( i understand consistency, but i strongly feel like the consistency being used for specials is just ruining them, honestly. being completely genuine, it just feels so boring and lifeless. they all follow the same pattern (mostly grey, green, purple, sometimes a deep brownish red) and it doesn't look good a lot of the time. obviously these colours can be used and they can look Good when used right, but the same swamp-esque palette is really just sad and it sucks to see every time a new sprite comes around there are a lot of sprites that i thought were GORGEOUS before they got updated, which was like the sole reason i hunted them - like the swablu line :( vs the dark grey with purple highlights was GORGEOUS, it was SO pretty. or there are a lot of melanistics who i think were absolutely stunning before, and here's a short list of those melans (and a few albinos) plus their revamps:

a little image heavy

vs - a (sadly) common case of a pokemon getting a new green revamp. i don't like this specific shade of green, which seems to be incredibly common in new melans, which kind of sucks to see vs - this in particular is SUPER disappointing to me. i was insanely upset and disappointed when i saw the change made to leafeon, and specifically its melan. the old melan was absolutely beautiful, and the dark body paired with the purple and red highlights (though the "highlights" were still pretty dark, too) was so, so pretty. the new one is just does not look good at all in my opinion vs - these ones are super similar, and i still really like melan cyndaquil. i just wanted to add this one to show that the "highlights" i think a lot of people liked on melanistics don't have to be bright or neon. the original melan cyndaquil had darker highlights than the new one, and i know that cyndaquil was a pretty beloved melan vs - another case of me really liking a dark grey melan with purple highlights :) but i still feel like the dark red-brown on the snivy line looks super out of place vs - i was really super disappointed with the snivy line, too. i feel like it just doesn't look right and isn't appealing at all. the purple is nice, and i like the red-brown as a colour, but i do not like either of those colours on the snivy line at all vs - the entire oshawott line was also so disappointing because i had really wanted to hunt oshawott. the new melan is Once Again green and it genuinely just doesn't look good at all to me. it feels swampy and i really do not like that shade of green that is Way too common now. i LOVED the old melan - the light blue was super beautiful and looked really good, and i felt like it just fit more, given how dewott is a water type vs - the albino was also really saddening to see. the old albino was pretty much a default albino imo LMAO, incredibly white and pale with red eyes, pink undertones. it was super super pretty and i really loved how the entire oshawott line looked. the new one is just a unappealing yellowy-green and it generally looks nothing like how i personally would imagine an albino vs - honestly i could put all of the elemental monkeys here, but panpour is specific is pretty upsetting. i've confused the new melan for melan pansage like a million times, and i think that, again, this specific shade of green just generally Does Not Look Good. the old melans were super cute even if they were a little bland. i really loved the theme that they followed, with each elemental monkey having their "type colour" as their ear colour. i thought it was super distinctive and a good idea, and i'm disappointed that that didn't stay the same vs - i like the new melan gigalith, though definitely not as much as i liked the old one. i like this shade of green more than the muddy swamp green, and i also like the dark cyan/teal body. i prefer the old one by a lot, i really loved the golden crystals and blue in the eyes, but the new one is still pretty eye catching, and i think is an example i'd use for what other shades of green i'd like to see vs - i think that this purple is also becoming more and more common over the years, and i wish that it wasn't. seismitoad still looks fine and i'm not that upset with the new melan, but compared to the old one, it just doesn't hold a candle to it vs - i think that both of these melans are SO pretty. i LOVE the shades of purple used for the new melan torterra and would love to see those more often. i also was really happy to see that the purple was paired with dark blues and greys instead of green, which i generally think looks pretty horrible. i'll absolutely miss the old melan, i really loved how it looked autumnal and i thought the orange contrast was super appealing, but the new melan is also gorgeous vs - a lot of albinos tend to follow the Toothpaste Colour route, which i think is pretty disappointing. adding an underlying tint to albinos is fine and i think it can definitely look good, but i think that a lot of the time the mint albinos don't look as good as the more Solid White ones used to
generally, i've really Hated the consistency rule for a long time now, and i feel like having less restrictions or rules on what melans are supposed to look like would be so beneficial. obviously taste is subjective, but i think that the consistency rule is just so limiting and makes a lot of pokemon arguably look bad because the main colours used just do not look good together on their sprite
in peace, may you leave this shore, in love, may you find the next, safe passage on your travels, until our final journey to the ground... may we meet again. typerace points! (hydro vortex) - 2224 [pfp is by spacehavoc!]
Terabbit's AvatarTerabbit
This thread is being unlocked with a friendly reminder to please be respectful when voicing criticism for sprites. If disrespectful commentary continues this thread may have to be locked again. It is okay to not like a sprite, or voice ideas for changes. But being disrespectful towards the work put into the initial sprite will not be tolerated.
credit
Background drawn by AdimivA on twitter Gif created by JUSTICEBEETLE F2U & Icon code by Gumshoe
Mirzam's AvatarMirzam

QUOTE originally posted by impish.sei

I think the problem is...the colours on canon Aurorus ARE very different colours, they're just so pale that they blend more. Since we are looking at the melan, you have to reference the shiny colouration, so the sail is pale yellow and a pale pink-ish lilac grey. So very much both a warm and a cool colour. It's just that when you deepen them, especially with making a gradient in a pixel art at a small scale being more difficult especially when things are stylised, that clashing is more obvious.
Yeah, since they're more or less shades of yellow and purple they're technically... what's the word for colors directly across on the color wheel? But when you invert, saturate, and darken it... you get some colors that are more obviously so different. I don't know what the best move would be, personally, I'd probably just make the orange purple because I'm not an artist and I like purple lol. But the more I think, I think that maybe if orange is The Color, maybe going all in and saturating it to match the blue might be better? It still looks more like a water-type's fins than an aurora-themed ice frill to me, but at least has some aspect of the sky imo. Behold, my lazy phone edit: (This looked different in my phone editor??? Oh well I'll try anyway)
But I'm sure there will be some who like that even less so idk :x @NORsevvy: While I definitely agree with a lot of what you're saying, it gets awkward because some people do genuinely like the new sprites too. I for one love love love the new mega Leafeon melan, and would probably have one if Eevee wasn't such a high exp egg. Though as a lover of blues and purples, I do also regret a lot of the sprites that went to more brown-tinged greens etc. This whole project is... rough, and it's hard to know what to say sometimes. Having something you spent so much time getting changed without you having much input or being able to have decided whether to spend that effort based on the new design is hard to swallow sometimes... But yeah I don't always understand how "consistency" vs "artistic license" is handled in these cases.
NORsevvy's AvatarNORsevvy
@mirzam yeah fs, there's absolutely no way to please everyone which definitely makes it difficult. i just wanted to give some examples on certain sprites i don't like and then give examples of what i do like - but my taste isn't going to be for everyone! i generally think that the biggest point i rly want to make is that the "consistency" has been absolutely destroying my want to actually hunt anything it definitely sucks to spend months or even years of time hunting something for the colours only for those colours to completely change, sometimes without any warning (megas, totems, etc) :( it's hard to want to participate in arguably the biggest part of the site when it's Always changing
Çelestanê's AvatarÇelestanê
I like the new paldean sprites so much! The only one that seems a bit awkward to me, is a Dachsbun - something feels... wrong with its snout? It also looks like this pose is not comfortable for the doggo to stand in lol P.S. I REALLY hope we will have a three-mouse Tandemaus family variant!
Gallevoir's AvatarGallevoir

QUOTE originally posted by Shazi

Our newer sprites have been smaller to fit more closely with already established sprite sizes with the rest of the regions. When we have been making our new sprites we have been a bit better at taking into account existing pokemon of similar size and body shaped and found consistantly across especially older sprites like kalos, they were far too large.
It's interesting to look back on this discussion from just a couple of days ago and compare it to Tandemaus (and, by extension, Maushold), because... don't hate me, but Tandemaus seems too big? I know it's two mons in one, with tiny little details on 'em, but compared to the likes of Goomy and Clauncher, who are circa the same size as Tandemaus in canon, it seems very jarring visually. IDK, Tandemaus is a bit of a clunky one to sprite anyway, so this could just be an unavoidable consequence of getting it onto PFQ. Just looks odd to me. For the positive part of the criticism sandwich: Smoliv's line, I like! It is just the right size throughout. She is so small. And the pose chosen for Squawkabilly simply exudes personality, it's full of pomp and sass!
  • Shops
  • Best Melans
  • A Christmas Bee, for Melan Luck
They/them, for simplicity. Beathan sprite; egg sprites from Bulbapedia; avatar; Acacia sprite by me; Bee from Pokefarm Advent
impish.sei's Avatarimpish.sei
I see the trend happening for the Squawkabilly melans and OMG i am going to need a melan yellow one, pronto
9230 pts
Shazi's AvatarShazi

QUOTE originally posted by Gallevoir

QUOTE originally posted by Shazi

Our newer sprites have been smaller to fit more closely with already established sprite sizes with the rest of the regions. When we have been making our new sprites we have been a bit better at taking into account existing pokemon of similar size and body shaped and found consistantly across especially older sprites like kalos, they were far too large.
It's interesting to look back on this discussion from just a couple of days ago and compare it to Tandemaus (and, by extension, Maushold), because... don't hate me, but Tandemaus seems too big? I know it's two mons in one, with tiny little details on 'em, but compared to the likes of Goomy and Clauncher, who are circa the same size as Tandemaus in canon, it seems very jarring visually. IDK, Tandemaus is a bit of a clunky one to sprite anyway, so this could just be an unavoidable consequence of getting it onto PFQ. Just looks odd to me. For the positive part of the criticism sandwich: Smoliv's line, I like! It is just the right size throughout. She is so small. And the pose chosen for Squawkabilly simply exudes personality, it's full of pomp and sass!
Unfortunately we ran into a situation of if we scaled down the parent pair it made the babies far too small in the Maushold families so we opted for a larger sprite. We may revisit it in the future to maybe see if we can scale it better but for now this works and isn't too crazy. The parents are on par with spinda for size and the babies are similar to pichu in scale
499 Ice Fangs
106 Gray Stones
Mass Click Association - My Shop - Guide to 90%+ Pairs
Signature by Cele, Avatar by Me
MochaFox's AvatarMochaFox
Something just feels off about the Tandemaus sprite to me. Maybe because it's naturally so light, and lining on the edges, as well as details, have to be dark? :o It's cute, don't get me wrong. Something just feels off about it. However, my baby, Fidough? So in love! Look at my freshly baked bakery boy! So precious! Smoliv looks smol and delicate, and while I dislike Squawkabilly as a Pokemon, its sprites are done nicely too. Can't wait to see melan Fidough cause if it's pretty I'm adding it to my list <3
✦ ✦
64/500+
141/500+
✦ ♥ Jacob Daniel born 7/17/18 ♥ ♥ Zander Leon due 8/1/24 ♥
✧ Template: [✦] | Avatar: [✦] | Background: [✦] | Font: [✦]
Gengirl's AvatarGengirl
I love the Tandemaus and Maushold sprites! Adorable work. ♡
Credit to my bff CorvidsAiden for my avatar!

Pages: 123··· 720721722723724··· 744745746

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page