PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 123··· 450451452453454··· 746747748

QUOTE originally posted by Dusky Peculiar

Kanto and Johto have...already been revamped? Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola haven't. I think the tweaks are just being made to the pokemon who don't fit their consistency - hence why spearow was updated on its lonesome.
I worded it a bit wrong- The pure black melans are being revamped, not the entirety of the regions.
timid's Avatartimid
I know the art team does a lot in the name of consistency, and I respect that. I just wish the consistency wasn't consistently against my personal preferences. The direction albinos have been taken in - more "pastel" in description than anything - included in this. The revamps are a lot of work to keep consistent and still look decent, I understand that. I just wish we could get sprites truer to what I joined for and what was/is advertised.
Napstablook sprite by Toby Fox. Question mark from default pfq icon. Thrown together by me.

QUOTE originally posted by FinalAbsolution

I worded it a bit wrong- The pure black melans are being revamped, not the entirety of the regions.
Not necessarily~ Spearow has a very vibrantly-coloured normal and shiny, so the sense is to have the albino and melan also reflect this - so it's not gonna be straight black/white. When the pokemon is straight black - like Gardevoir's mega dress - then it makes sense that the melan would also have no colour? At least, for the consistency the art staff are going for ^^
Edited by Chronos
Edited by Me
Edited by Me
Edited by Me
Credits; Icon (see below), Signature
TCG Artwork
Icon is from the official Love Live School Idol Festival Mobile App <3
My issue with that is the Pokemon in nature of being melanistic/having melanism should have black in it regardless of the original having black in it. Meowth is a good example- though I'm willing to bet it's going to change. That is a good melan. (put it in my sta.sh so it doesnt change/die in the future)
Hakano Riku's AvatarHakano Riku
Just because the terms "albino" and "melanistic" are being thrown around, doesn't mean the art staff nor Niet ever intended the sprites to follow real life albinism and melanism. They seem to be using "albino" and "melan" as simply a lighter and darker colour variant of the original Pokémon sprites respectively. If all albinos were white, and all melanistics just black..There'd be no individuality between all of the different Pokémon sprite 'specials' TwT; Edit: Obviously they are using what albino and melan means as a guide, so they are making them appear to be black-ish and white-ish in nature, but the point still stands that they're likely keeping colour involved to make the sprites all different, special variants and not just all black or all white ;w;'
Avatar of Dian Rubens from Spice & Wolf
Type Race Score: 0
Type Race Clicklist: HERE
LavenderHues's AvatarLavenderHues
Mmmm, I really liked Spearow’s/Fearow’s old albino sprite. I liked the softness of it, especially on the wings, talons, and beak. Now the wings seem almost fluorescent and the beak doesn’t mesh well with the rest of the face. I will say that I like the robin’s egg blue and the soft purple on its belly! I just wish the green wasn’t so bright.
Forum icon drawn by me!
× 628 / 713
Sea Crown hoard progress until I can restart my hunt!
G0ne's AvatarG0ne
Its kind of stupid to make the comparison of online, not real, fake creatures colors, to real life, designed by nature, melan and albino animals. It also feels like consistency isn't always used in making sprites though, but you know. That's my opinion. I do appreciate Dusky posting some helpful insight though. Nice of her taking time to do that, even though she is no longer staff. Appreciate it <3

QUOTE originally posted by Hayashi Rin

Just because the terms "albino" and "melanistic" are being thrown around, doesn't mean the art staff nor Niet ever intended the sprites to follow real life albinism and melanism. They seem to be using "albino" and "melan" as simply a lighter and darker colour variant of the original Pokémon sprites respectively. If all albinos were white, and all melanistics just black..There'd be no individuality between all of the different Pokémon sprite 'specials' TwT; Edit: Obviously they are using what albino and melan means as a guide, so they are making them appear to be black-ish and white-ish in nature, but the point still stands that they're likely keeping colour involved to make the sprites all different, special variants and not just all black or all white ;w;'
I'm aware- I just.. Wish they kept the consistancy of the old melans? The black with colored hilights was fine, maybe a bit less neon-y but a lot of people like myself joined the site because of the look of the old melanistics, and this change is so drastic (and I personally dislike the new melans because they aren't black) Multiple people have spoken with me in private about how they dislike the new melans/wish they old ones were kept, etc. It's not that the new ones are inherently bad- some of them are fine, it's that in a lot of cases the old ones look better than the new ones do and it's just kinda disappointing.
G0ne's AvatarG0ne

QUOTE originally posted by FinalAbsolution

QUOTE originally posted by Hayashi Rin

I'm aware- I just.. Wish they kept the consistancy of the old melans? The black with colored hilights was fine, maybe a bit less neon-y but a lot of people like myself joined the site because of the look of the old melanistics, and this change is so drastic (and I personally dislike the new melans because they aren't black) Multiple people have spoken with me in private about how they dislike the new melans/wish they old ones were kept, etc. It's not that the new ones are inherently bad- some of them are fine, it's that in a lot of cases the old ones look better than the new ones do and it's just kinda disappointing.
Not to throw shade but, it doesn't entirely help that when users give feedback here in regards to sprites, they aren't always answered? Even if they were told that the art team decided to keep the sprite as is because it is consistent/the best version it can be/other. Like, when PK did that, I thought that was wonderful. Took the time to circle back, respond to us, tell us whats up. I seriously think that if this thread is gonna be here, then it needs to be consistently acknowledged and replied to by the art team, because 99% of the time it is who we, the users, are trying to speak with. It is hard to give feedback and then just see it pushed back further and further being buried by new sprites, new feedback, and even worse, new feedback that got acknowledged when old feedback didn't. It feels like this thread has no point when its the Sprite Discovery Discussion and those we are trying to discuss the sprites with aren't here half the time, helping us understand color choices, poses, the thought process. I agree with you, older sprites sometimes look better, but when I express these concerns and don't get answers its like, what do? Do I revive the concerns, do I give up since I tried already??? That is my personal take. I know sometimes there are answers, and they are busy, but I would think there would at least be more effort to reply here since they are the only ones that can give us the answers and thoughts we seek, you know?
söbble's Avatarsöbble
I've said it once, I've said it a million times. I joined for melanistics. Melanistic isn't some made up term - like delta, or any of the other terms used for fake Pokemon types out there. Calling them albino and melanistics and using sprites that reflect the typical usage of those terms to advertise the features is false advertisement. Had I known albino would end up meaning "green or blue with an accent" and melanistic would mean "slightly darker shade of one color with almost no accent," I never would have joined. Alolan Vulpix lured me in - as well as all the other wonderful sprites that fit that bill back when I joined. Just let melanistics have black. Let Albino have white/cream. I'm not saying make them all vanta black and snow white - but at least where there's already dark or light areas on a 'mon, make them white/black (and no, I don't mean straight FFFFFF and 000000) and go from there with the coloration of the rest of the sprite.
× 0 / 1000
icon by kuromori!

Pages: 123··· 450451452453454··· 746747748

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page