PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Planned Maintenance and Special Event

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 262728

Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
On Tuesday the 13th of December, at 2PM Server Time, PokéFarm Q will be offline for maintenance. Details of a special event can be found after the maintenance information. This maintenance is expected to take no more than 30 minutes, but in case of problems please follow our Facebook page or Twitter for updates to the situation. What will be done? Default skin change Certain colours on the official skin will be changed. In particular, borders will become lighter and the brown will be replaced with an in-between kind of green. This should allow for a more consistent colour scheme. NavBar and Counters change The background colour for both of these areas will be changed to match the rest of the top-of-page area. The Counters will use your skin's text colour instead of white. NavBar buttons will gain a border to help them stand out. Other minor colour adjustments Links on display box headers (eg. Quotes) will no longer use the secondary text colour, and will instead use the link colours defined in the skin you are using. Please be sure the colours contrast suitably to be read. Also, the three-lines menu buttons will now use the Text colour instead of the Border colour, for consistency with the rest of the area. The above changes were designed in collaboration with users viewing the Live Stream last week. DayCare bug fixes and preparations for Alola A bug came up in which Alolan forms could be bred despite not having been officially released yet. While the bug was fixed in an emergency patch, it did reveal an underlying problem of old code in the breeding system. This will be addressed during the maintenance, and will allow for Alolan breeding to work as intended when the feature is properly released. EXP system overhaul This is the big one, the reason why maintenance is needed rather than just patching it in like everything else. TL;DR it will be handled differently but because it is so fundamental it will be closely monitored to ensure all goes well.

Details

The database includes a table called "pokemon". As its name suggests, it contains information about every single Pokémon on the site - almost 10 million of them! This includes things like what species it is, what gender it is, whether it's shiny and albino or not (or both), its name, where it is in your fields and many other things. In particular, it includes how much EXP it has accumulated. This is the problem. When an interaction is made, several things get saved to the database. This includes how many Credits and Interaction Points you have. How many times you have interacted with Pokémon belonging to the owner. All of this is specific to you. However, the EXP on the Pokémon can be affected by several people at once. This is especially true for people with large Fields, where users may spend a lot of time interacting. It also happens with the Pokérus host quite often. The issue is the infamous Deadlock error. When two users happen to interact with the same thing at the same time, it is possible for the server to try and handle both at once. Naturally, it can't do this, and as a failsafe system one of the two users will be told they cannot do it at that moment, in other words they receive the Deadlock error and instruction to try again. Several efforts were made to stop the Deadlock errors, such as improving the manner in which errors are handled, but to no avail. Right now, the errors are silently ignored, allowing you to continue interacting. It was decided that the slight loss of EXP associated with silently ignoring the error was acceptable if it meant reducing the amount of visible errors. However the errors continue to happen in other ways and most often with Pokérus hosts. For instance, if the host tries to move a newly hatched Pokémon to a field at the same time someone was interacting with it - something very likely when Pokérus is involved - the host would potentially receive a Deadlock error. This would slow down their ability to play the game and benefit properly from Pokérus. In extreme cases, the Pokémon would disappear completely (temporarily, thankfully) as the database and Memcached become desynchronised. In order to fix this, the EXP will be saved in a separate database table. Any deadlock errors on that table will continue to be silently ignored, but their effect should be minimal. In fact, moving the data to a dedicated table should improve how that data is handled resulting in fewer potential deadlocks. But more importantly it will allow for other things like renaming the Pokémon to be completely unaffected by unusually high activity, resulting in a better experience overall. Please be aware that since this is a fundamentally core part of the system, changing it may lead to possible instability. While every effort has been made to ensure this won't happen, mistakes are possible. I will do my best to make sure that any bugs that do emerge are promptly fixed. To give an idea, during early testing of the new system I accidentally de-levelled my Houndoom to Level 3. Oops. But this is why we have daily backups :)

Special Event As part of implementing a new system, it is important to put that system to the test. This special event will stress-test the new EXP system by putting it under great pressure. Date: Saturday 17th of December Time: 00:00 to 23:59 Server Time Objective: 1,000 Interactions and 25,000,000 Global Interactions Reward: AZ's Floette Custom Sprite If you missed this Custom Sprite's distribution over 2 years ago, now's your chance :D To be clear, the community as a whole needs to reach the Global Interactions target, and if successful then anyone who reached the individual Interactions target will receive the reward. A page will be created dedicated to the event with indicators for progress both as an individual and as a community. Here it is! I'm confident you can do this easily, thanks to the improved servers and increased activity in recent months. This will help test the limits of the current systems and pave the way for future growth. I look forward to giving out many Custom Sprites!
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Yay! Can't wait for the updates!
Avatar credit! I hope you all have a wonderful day! Type race score: 0
X-Ray Specs

X-Ray Specs

Forme-Change Item

(: 0)

A pair of glasses with special lenses that grant the ability to see through thick barriers.

Sells for 500

Lv. 100 — +285,006
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
PoisonDark
Happiness MAX
Bashful nature
My 2-egg wonder
sharktan's Avatarsharktan
i'm so happy about the event -- and really excited, too! thanks for giving a heads up on maintenance too, niet!
Darkrath's AvatarDarkrath
more updates, yay.
My story "The Origins Of Rawrberry" is a work in progress so stay tuned!
awesome!
Kaimi's And TotallyATurtle's Art Shop LOVELY CHIBI POKESONA MADE FOR ME BY CHANTY <3
LxcorisElaine's AvatarLxcorisElaine
Good timing too, Studying for finals so the inaccesibility of a major distraction will allow me to concentrate better (: Thanks for all of your hard work!
Stumpios's AvatarStumpios
oooh preeetty
A rp of mine, pretty much a pokemon sanctuary! :D I made this avatar myself, and posted it under the username Stumpy on medibang.
Bladeporeon's AvatarBladeporeon

QUOTE originally posted by Kiara32

bah bah whatever
That's not very nice. The least you could do is show some appreciation for Niet's tireless working. On a more-topic-related note: I'm very glad that people are getting the chance to get AZ's Floette again, it baffled me why it wasn't obtainable in X/Y/ORAS!
* Superhero Vaporeon at your service! Now with Slurpuff sidekick! * Avatar is of my NEW fursuit, made by Katsudoggo!
Milesfire's AvatarMilesfire
Thank you for the constant updates to make PFQ even better and the event! I'll definetly try my very best to get the custom sprite and help the community reach it's goal ^^.
Avatar is Apollo Justice from Ace Attorney. The art is official but I edited in the trans flag. Call me Miles, he/him. Previously known as ZeroTails and then CloveredZero and then CharaBerry -----
teefa85's Avatarteefa85
Thanks for the heads up! Thankfully for me, 2 PM Server Time is still mid-morning and I'll be at work. Still nice to know in case it ends up taking longer than expected.
Screenshot taken from Trials of Mana using my own Switch.

Pages: 123··· 262728

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page