PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

basics of opening an art shop?

Forum Index > Core > Help >

skypony101's Avatarskypony101
Hi! I hope this is the correct place to ask (if not, please redirect me to correct forum ^v^) but how exactly would one start an art shop of sorts? I have never sold anything online as of yet, so may as well learn a thing or two here since i know a lot of you are pretty well versed in this!! starting off with a bunch of questions here! some may have obvious answers i can assume for myself, but id like opinions/confirmation regardless! -Is there a sort of "form" i should follow to get started? -How do i know what to price my art at? -Should i provide a time estimate of how long it takes me? -i dont want others to be saving the art i made for someone else, so i can just PM the person instead of posting it to my thread, correct? -what is a good base canvas size to use so the image isnt too big? -If the main purpose of my shop was to, say, offer custom baits and two people wanted the same mon made as a bait, what would i do? it would feel wrong to sell the same piece to different people (this one seems like it would be pretty likely to happen so id like to be prepared) general info on how artists deal with this would be nice! -is charging 50% of the arts price upfront a good idea? or should i have complete trust and take payments after the art was created? -!!important!! how does people paying with money work? , and can i use the buymeacoffee site to get payments for art as well? (i have paypal too, and instead of ko-fi im using buymeacoffee) i appreciate any help i can get, please feel free to include any other advice even if its not in my questions!
my avatar is a picture of my dog Tika, taken my me :) check out my dexing service! *
image made by me. shiny, albino, mega, and totem sticker from PFQ
Justsayhi's AvatarJustsayhi
Hello!! I’ve had an art shop on PFQ for a bit over a year now so I think I’m… partially qualified to answer some of these? I’ll just go down the list and hope I’ve helped somewhat! :-) 1) If you mean in terms of setting your art shop up, there’s no singular correct way to set it up! Usually I’d say your rules, prices, examples, and what information a person should include when ordering from you! If you mean in terms of getting permission to open an art shop - nope! You can just set one up whenever! 2) The age old question.. if you do USD commissions, the general ratio is $1 / 100 ZC / 500 GP / 500k CR! Although I know some people make their prices in server currency somewhat cheaper. It’s just up to whatever you think is worth it! 3) If you’d like! Definitely not required though. 4) Yep! You can just PM it :-) 5) I generally use 1600 x 1600, sometimes bigger (to about 2200?) and I haven’t had a problem on site with that yet! If you want the image to be small though, I generally do 200 x 200 or smaller. 6) I don’t usually do baits, but in that scenario, you might either request the second buyer to have a pose or something else in mind to make it a special kind of bait (for example, I like buying bait with cheri berries since I hunt spicy natures); alternatively, you could figure out a different way to draw the ‘mon yourself, or just refuse on the basis that you’ve drawn that bait before and do not want to sell the same piece twice. 7) It’s worked out pretty well for me to do that! I can say that a vast majority of people on this site will not try to scam you, so if you’d feel better taking the full payment afterward and, say, watermarking your piece until they give you the payment, that works too. 8) I have not done a USD commission on site, but I have bought one on here before. Generally it works the same; in PMs you can provide a PayPal link or that buymeacoffee link, and then the person pays. I’d recommend usually just doing the full amount when paying with actual money though, because all the extra fees when you split the money up can be kind of annoying to deal with. For me personally, having an art shop has been a lot of trial and error! Don’t be afraid to get things wrong the first time, the art community on PFQ is very understanding from my experience! You can always set up a temporary thread in one of the non-shop art categories to get a general feel of PFQ commissions first :-) Hope that all helps!
Official Sprite from ZE:999
Buying Kusanagi for 20 ZC/equiv! Just send a trade!
Uh....I haven't opened an art shop myself, but I have done a quick grab-and-go type at art forums and I've stalked the forums quite a bit, so I could probably answer some of these questions... 1. Nope, no form, do whatever you want. Heck, slap a couple of hideboxes and/or tabs, or just use a divider of any sort, and you're good. F2u templates are a good option if you have a lot of stuff and need organization, plus it makes things look nice <3 2. You...don't :) I'd say if you were a beginner you can do PWYW, and then go from there. If you aren't a beginner, try making a forum and asking others. Or you could just straight up use your gut feeling and price it, then ask other people if they think its too expensive. 3. You really don't have to provide time estimate, I tried doing that with my template shop and found it unreliable. You can put something up that says the customer can ask. I personally wouldn't, it's a pain to update and not really accurate anyway(my templates now take 2 weeks to make instead of the usual 3 days due to procrastinating and school work, so i gave up on time estimation altogether) 4. You can, in fact many do. If other people use that art it is art theft and you can report it on pretty much any website. 5. Well, I don't know what to say on this one, but you can always resize using an image resizer! I'd say if PFQ goes by 250 x 250, maybe 500 x 500? 6. I mean, in this case I would just draw two different baits, with different poses, etc, since others are paying you to do it. I mean, there are plenty of f2u baits around that are just colors and nothing else, and many could just use that, so I recommend different poses, maybe a decoration or two, etc 7. Some do, some don't. Me as a customer, I find it a tiny bit annoying, because I'll forget some stuff. My brain just doesn't work that way. It's a good way to your profit. My recommendation is this: If it's a lot, do it. Otherwise, perhaps don't. Worse case you'd PM a MOD. 8. Can't really help with dis one
Star | She/Her | Psychopath
BORED TO DEATH!!
Collecting
x 500 x 500
Sells a variety of things!
Credits
Full credits here. PFP => Salty_Lightning on Pinterest Button => Kaelwolfur
teaspoonsoup's Avatarteaspoonsoup
hi there! i've had an art shop here on PFQ for a while and i also work as a freelance artist off-site so i can answer these questions :) some of them might be repeat answers that other people have said, but i'll offer my two cents still -Is there a sort of "form" i should follow to get started? In terms of setting up your shop, there's no specific way to start it up :O generally, most shops have their rules, examples, commission types, accepted currencies, etc. you can see my art shop here as an example :) -How do i know what to price my art at? It really depends on your skill level and amount of time you put into the art! There's also the currency conversions you have to keep in mind (most people price their commissions in ZC, so $1 USD=100 ZC, usually). In my case, I'm pretty experienced with taking commissions, so I know how much my time is worth and how fast I complete commissions, which is why my commissions are priced as such in my thread. But also- I price my PFQ commissions a bit differently than my USD commissions off-site. I myself am totally ok with this since I consider the PFQ comms part of the game experience and I'm not looking to gain income from any of it- that's what my USD commissions are for haha But I digress- this is all to say that pricing is up to you and comes with trial and error :') -Should i provide a time estimate of how long it takes me? You don't need to, but in some cases, that info is appreciated! In my case, I usually don't, since I tend to get things done within a week or so. Generally, if something comes up that prevents you from continuing with the commission, you should update your customers! -i dont want others to be saving the art i made for someone else, so i can just PM the person instead of posting it to my thread, correct? Yes, this is what I do! If you do want to show off the commissioned art, you can show a watermarked version :) -what is a good base canvas size to use so the image isnt too big? It really depends on you. I usually start off with a 2000x2000 canvas, but I draw small so my final images end up about half that size lol -If the main purpose of my shop was to, say, offer custom baits and two people wanted the same mon made as a bait, what would i do? it would feel wrong to sell the same piece to different people (this one seems like it would be pretty likely to happen so id like to be prepared) general info on how artists deal with this would be nice! I offer baits and this hasn't happened to me yet, but it's certainly something I've asked myself at one point. I think the best course of action would be to draw a different pose or expresssion! Because you're right, it isn't fair to sell the same piece to different people (and is actually against the rules)- so this way, everyone gets a personalized bait :) -is charging 50% of the arts price upfront a good idea? or should i have complete trust and take payments after the art was created? I recommend the 50% payment upfront (for PFQ currency comms, at least). It's nicely explained at the bottom of this post- this ensures that you're somewhat compensated for the work you've done if your client flakes out on you. -!!important!! how does people paying with money work? , and can i use the buymeacoffee site to get payments for art as well? (i have paypal too, and instead of ko-fi im using buymeacoffee) So for my off-site USD commissions, I use PayPal as my payment method. PayPal has an invoice feature that I use to request money from my customers (and the customer technically doesn't need a PayPal account to pay an invoice!). For these, I only accept the full payment upfront. Not entirely sure if full payment upfront with real currency is within PFQ's rules though, which is why I don't offer these here. I have no experience with buymeacoffee or ko-fi, so I can't help there, sorry :") I hope this helped! if you have any more questions, feel free to message me! I'd be happy to help ^^
trade shop art shop credit
icon and resprite by me pkmnpanel code by Mirzam pixels from caterpie.crd.co
Clover Sweet

Clover Sweet

Consumable

(: 0)

A clover-shaped sweet. When a Milcery holds this, it spins around happily.

Sells for 1,000

Lv. 22 — Locked
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
Normal
Happiness 27%
Quirky nature

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page