PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Do you open boxes?

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

MickTheMoose's AvatarMickTheMoose
Been side eye ing my treasure boxes lately since I'm not sure if opening them is worth the risk for me compaired to selling boxboxes. How do y'all decide what items to use and what to sell on here?
Score: 0
Jinoga's AvatarJinoga

dumb math

Just a disclaimer that this is my own math that I've thrown together, and that I'm not including certain drops for the sake of making things more simplistic, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm just explaining my general line of thinking. And also I could be wrong here! If you notice anything amiss, please correct me. :) Going by box probabilities, give or take, there's a 23% chance that you'll end up meeting the value of the box on the market if not more than that (which averages around 30k credits) through the various things you can obtain (mega stone, arceus plate, uber rare, summon item, forme change items, and the small and big gold poke chance, not counting relic items because the items that are worth it are a percentage of a percentage and math 2 hard rn) Let's say you open 100 (equiv: 3mil credits) boxes in total. Based on the percentages, you should expect: 2 summon items MAYBE an arceus plate (its an 0.8 chance) 1 mega stone 5 big gold poke (between 50-125) 10 small gold poke (between 25-50) 4 forme change items NOTE: My market prices are based on their current prices. They may fluctuate, but fluctuate as they may, the general idea/point of my calculations should remain the same. Let's be extremely generous and say you get a really good summon item, like uhh two Jade Orbs or something, which is currently 400k credits right now on the market. And let's assume you get one of the FEW plates that are at more than 100k credits on the market, let's say it's worth 125k credits. And then let's say the mega stone you get is worth 500k credits. And that every single time you roll a gold poke drop, you get the maximum amount of gold poke. And that your forme change item drops average to 50k credits per item. 400 + 400 + 125 + 500 + (125 x 5) + (50 x 10) + (50 x 4) = 2.75mil credits Not even getting an uber rare item (which is an 0.2 chance) will be able to get to 3mil, as they average 70k-130k credits. This is just going by the percentages and taking them as what will actually happen - your actual mileage may vary. You may get more or you may get less. And again, keep in mind I was extremely generous with the item drops. At that point, you could probably just get a lottery ticket and buy ZC with your earnings.
TLDR; I consider selling boxes to be more worth it than opening them, unless you're really in the mood to gamble. Sometimes I open one every week or so as a treat, but for the most part, I just sell 'em and use the credits to buy the summon items I need. The drop rates aren't worth opening them all the time imo.
oh wow you think about it more than I do XD I just ask myself "do I want to gamble today? could I use the seratonin? yes? time to open all 50 lol
Jinoga's AvatarJinoga
FSAHGJD that is completely fair, haha! Tbh I get my gambling fix through hunting since I love hoarding the specials I get, so I'm able keep myself satisfied and just chuck the boxes onto the market without a care. To each their own! :D
no no you're right that's a very good point. I suppose I should probably update my shop finally and try selling stuff instead of just mass opening boxes to expand my hoard of items i don't use lol what about anyone else? Do you find the gamble worth it? What's your hit of excitement come from on here?
Lyre's AvatarLyre
I allow myself to open 1-3 boxes after the daily reset. Usually 1, but if I feel like I've earned it, I'll open more lol. It definitely makes boxbox hunting take longer, but I'm pretty active so I still get them at an ok rate. If I'm low on currencies however, I'll end up saving all my boxes instead.
3s / 1064h 0
Goatlady's AvatarGoatlady
I'm a pack rat. I always have been one to keep everything in games and just struggle on without using the things I've been hoarding for a long time incase I need them at some point... PFQ is no different. I have hoarded boxes and opened them all on my birthday. It was something around 250 boxes. I don't buy boxes, I just keep them from scours. Usually I check my boxes every few days and open any that have the "open 5" button, because I like to keep a bit of a stash incase a new legendary comes out that I need to summon, which means I have a few boxes available to immediately open for the item. I am hoarding the evolve items to use when I need them for events/special evolves/new dex evolves/badge upgrades. I sometimes sell some to the game if there's a good credit discount day and I'm close enough to affording a field, but I always keep 3 of each, just incase I need them... I sell all the treasures (not relics) straight to the game for credits. I use the relics on my badge upgrades. I have a big hoard of summon items that I use to pay for people's special legendaries when that's an option. The gold from boxes is nice. I use or swap megastones to make progress on my collection or use them as nice raffle prizes or gifts. This is how I play and has thus far been effective. It's not the only way, but it works really well for me :) /end essay
  • Shop
  • Typerace
  • My Special Monz
  • Links
TUBG are an efficient and enthusiastic Team, offering these services: Ditto Speed Dating, Custom Breeding Pairs including Exclusives, Shelter Hunting, Exclusives Hatching, Charm Rental and selling our Special hatches, + items. Don't be shy, come drop by!
If you think you can beat Team Psychic, you must be craZy with a capital zed!
Score: 0
Banner created by LycanKai
StartermonFirst Melanmon
Lv. 97 — 3,206 / 28,519
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryAspear Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryCheri Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
FirePsychic
Happiness 27%
Sassy nature
Reaper Cloth

Reaper Cloth

Evolution Item

(: 0)

A fabric imbued with evil energies.

Sells for 1,750

Lv. 100 — +719,279
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryAspear Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryCheri Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
Ghost
Happiness 27%
Rash nature
I try not to, but I'm very impatient, so I do sometimes.
- Sunflower 🌻
Hearth-fire's AvatarHearth-fire
my gambling addiction says yes. besides, i don't care for box box generated currency when i have a chance to get a beast ball and save a million cr
reality is an illusion and time is a lie, buy goooooooooooold!!!! (and feed my sunflower, their the only real thing in this world ;)) also please click this link to help me hatch some eggs in dragon cave: https://dragcave.net/user/Hearth-fire
Lv. 39 — 1,533 / 4,681
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryAspear Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryCheri Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
Grass
Happiness 27%
Jolly nature

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2022 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | WikiGet shortlink for this page