PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Body Diversity in Trainer Customization

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Szarkai's AvatarSzarkai

WRITTEN by WHITLEY

Suggestion Title: Body Diversity in Trainer Customization Suggestion Summary: Options for the default trainer, as well as slightly chubbier and then a full figure. Maybe even a more muscular figure as well. Positive points: Will allow people to create a trainer that makes them feel more accepted. Body image is important to many people, and while PokeFarm has great options in regards to gender and race, body diversity is lacking in the trainer images. Negative points: It'd be a lot of work on the arts team as every outfit would need to be redrawn to fit the new bodies and then recolored, and this is definitely not something I expect to be put together overnight nor do I expect it to be an update all it's own-- I'd just like this to be considered whenever more things for trainer avatars are being implemented. Could be sooner, could be later. Reason For Consideration: This is a change that will likely make a lot of people feel more accepted and represented. Not enough games have options for body diversity, and with 1/3 of the western population being plus-size it can be harmful to those who are bigger to only be able to play as skinny characters in games. *NOTE THAT I DON'T EXPECT THIS TO BE VIEWED AS IT'S OWN PROPOSAL, Just an idea to be kept in mind when and if more options come up! I recognize it isn't an urgent change, and that it's purely a cosmetic, but it is a cosmetic that would mean a lot to a lot of people and should be at least mentioned when and if trainer updates come up.
Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe
From the initial announcement post for trainer customization, we were told body options weren't feasible at the time.

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

In the teaser announcement I saw someone asking about whether we'd have multiple poses or body shapes for the Trainer. Unfortunately for the time being the answer is "no" on account of it greatly multiplies the number of images needed. Each different base would need to have its clothing tailored to fit, and the same with poses. As nice as it would be, those kinds of options just aren't feasible at this time.
That was about 2 years ago, so I'm not sure if the situation has changed and they have more time to do it. Based off of the pace of the galar releases and the lack of updates to trainer customization for over a year (and the gen4+ special updates....)....I don't have exactly high hopes the art team can take more on their plate right now. Keep in mind, I highly support the idea as a Not Thin Person myself (who sometimes gets dysphoria over how much my trainer Doesnt Look Like Me At All, haha) but I'm not sure it's feasible.
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp by me ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
Junker Queen's AvatarJunker Queen
artists have apporved more tranier customization already but its gonna take time cause galar is whats at the top of the list rn they are also doing revamps but im sure they wanna do this
i really do want this to be a thing even if it's way, way down the line, planned for much, much later. hell, i'd be happy with just one single heavier option if that made it easier. it's probably not gonna happen any time soon but i do still support this idea.
  • Misc.
  • Important Mons
i'm mike. it/its. credits | journal | art showcase (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ︵ ┻━┻ will buy these
selocon's Avatarselocon
If/when this happens, I think it could be 3 "stages" in general. Obviously this can be expanded or changed, but here's how I think it could work: Gender: []Male []Female []Neutral Body style: []Overweight (or any other desired term) []Normal/fit []Thin/skinny
Avatar by the best lizard ever, Bananalizard #standwithEMS #ELM
Score: 2659
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
If and when we have the capacity needed to do this, "different body types" is on our list of things we'd like to do. Implementation-wise, the "gender" selection is internally called `TrainerBase` and honestly the only reason they have gender labels at all is because Pokémon games have always started out with "are you a boy or a girl?" and we expanded that to include a middle-ground. It's just sort of how PFQ has always been (although PF1 didn't have that third option iirc). Point is, there's no particular reason that a "base" should be gendered one way, the other, or in the middle. So if and when more options are available, we could certainly consider different "bases" to choose from and you pick the one that best fits you. But as things stand right now, we don't have that kind of time available and so this is what we've got. Thank you for your patience in this matter. I am moving this to Rejected only because we don't have the capacity at this time, nor will we for the forseeable future until we get Galar done, catc up with sprite reworks, and all kinds of other things.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page