PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Spriteapedia - Sprite school and guides

Forum Index > Pokémon > Pokémon Art > Art Schools >

Pages: 123456

Vio99's AvatarVio99
Hope this is not spam for the thread, in case sorry! I didn't want to disappear this way lol but I've been very busy with uni life, exams and the current world situation As it wasn't enough, my wifi broke and apparently the man who was supposed to fix it, sad that "he doesn't know where to put his hands" I'm working on the assignment I was given, I'm trying to make it look a bit better Once I'll be able to do things with my computer I'll be back Thanks for understanding, for now good luck on your other students, see ya soon~♡
ACottontail's AvatarACottontail
@AsteroidPizza39 and clorisdaone Both of you did a good job. I saw that you both fixed the outline to be the hat's color, and tried to make the left side of the hat round like the right side as some of it was behind Mime.jr's head. Which brings us to the next lesson, mending parts of sprites.

Lesson 2 - Mending parts

When making a fusion you will sometimes have parts you want to use that are behind different parts of the pokemon. In those cases you will want to fix up the part before putting it into the fusion. For this lesson I want you to to take Articuno's tail, erase the parts around it and fix the parts that were blocked by other parts of Articuno. The first step is to erase the parts around Articuno's tail. It's okay to leave pixels if you think they will become part of the tail's outline. The next step is to draw the outline with the single pixel tool. Use the two outlines next to the area blocked by other parts as a reference to how you should draw the outline. Try to make it smoothly transition from one part of the outline to the next. The next step is to replace all the pixels that aren't Articuno's tail inside the tail with the base color of the tail with the single pixel tool. After that fix up the shading and details in the areas that were obscured by other parts. While those areas of Articuno's tail didn't have any shading, they did have changes in the outline color. Use the outline colors of the lines that weren't blocked by other parts as a reference to what the colors should be. Articuno's tail also has two lines as details. Use where the lines already there as a reference for where the missing lines should go.
@Vio99 It's alright, take your time.
Check out my gym, and my Journal. Vearus sprite + banners by me.
Beta Wooper from the 1999 Gold/Sliver protype, the sprite was revamped and animated by me
~The trainer of raging dragons~
clorisdaone's Avatarclorisdaone
Here you go!
here it is:
<Insert very detailed signiture>
@clorisdaone I see you went with Articuno's gen 4 sprite for this assignment. In the area blocked by Articuno's right leg you have a 3 pixel line segment, followed by a 1 pixel one, followed by a 7 pixel long segment which makes the area look a bit rough. You should extended that one pixel long segment to the right until you got to the part where Articuno's leg wasn't blocking it any more to create a more smoother curve. Usually when making curves try to have a line segment of 2 pixels between line segments of 1 pixel and 3 or more pixels. It usually makes the curve look better, though there are exceptions. Here is an image that shows this in action. The lines on the left don't follow this trick while the ones on the right do. On the top middle of the tail there is an dark area. In that area of the tail there were two lines, the outline of the tail and the detail in the tail. The outline color is dark blue, so you shouldn't have a black line there as it doesn't follow the shading, and most sprites don't have outlines more than 1 pixel thick. You should shorten the outline to 1 pixel, then color it all dark blue. Though I feel like you are ready to move on. Up next is adding and blending together parts.

Lesson 3 - Adding & Blending together parts

When making a fusion you will add parts onto a pokemon. After getting the part you want via erasing the rest of the sprite around it drag it onto the place you want it to go on the pokemon. If there is something in the way you don't want, such as there being another tail, you should erase it first before dragging the new part onto it. For this lesson I want you to replace the end of Lucario's arm with Octillery's mouth to create a sort of arm cannon. You will quickly run into the problem of just placing the mouth doesn't look good. This is because Octillery's mouth is way to big for Lucario's arm. In order to fix this draw a line starting from the outline of the top of Lucario's arm to Octillery's mouth a few pixels at a time. Every few pixels move the line up by one. When going up stop drawing and move up and left one before drawing again. Avoid pixels in outlines that connect pixels in a sharp L like way unless you are trying to make something like a sharp point. You don't have to connect the very top of Octillery's outline with Lucario's arm, stop once the outline of Octillery's mouth connects with the line you are drawing naturally. After that do the same to connect the outline of the bottom part of Lucario's arm with Octillery's mouth. Then erase the pixels outside the outline you just created. Finally fix up the shading making the end of the shading on Octillery's mouth meet up with the shading on Lucario's arm. While it didn't occur here sometimes when placing parts in programs like MS paint, the white parts will show the pixels behind them. In order to fix this change the color of the part to a random color nowhere else in the sprite, move the part over, then make the part white again. This can also be fixed by working on a background that isn't the color of any other part on the sprite, or by just fixing it up once you moved the part, though the latter is prone to more mistakes. Another thing to look out for is where things logically are on a sprite. A common spriting mistake I see is placing a part behind a pokemon when it makes no logical sense. Take the image above for example. Due to the way Accelgor is angled the wings are coming out of his back and his left shoulder. The sprites on the right fix this by placing Accelgor's other wing where it logically should be, so both wings are coming out of the shoulders. Depending on the angle the pokemon is facing wings won't always be facing towards the back. Sometimes it is more logical to place the wings to match the direction they are facing. However putting both wings on one side of a pokemon can look weird. Do what feels the most right. In the example image I did both, and it changes the angle Accelgor looks like its facing a little bit.
@AsteroidPizza39 I think you did a good job on the assignment. Though there is a line segment of 2 pixels, followed by one of 1 pixel, followed by one of 4 pixels at the bottom of the tail's curve looks a bit off. To make the tail's curve look a bit smoother you should extend the 1 pixel long segment right by 1 pixel. When making curves try to have a line segment of 2 pixels between line segments of 1 pixel and 3 or more pixels. It usually makes the curve look better, though there are exceptions. Here is an image that shows this in action. The lines on the left don't follow this trick while the ones on the right do. Also there is a stray grey pixel on the bottom middle of the tail, but that's minor. Though I feel like you are ready to move on. Up next is adding and blending together parts.

Lesson 3 - Adding & Blending together parts

When making a fusion you will add parts onto a pokemon. After getting the part you want via erasing the rest of the sprite around it drag it onto the place you want it to go on the pokemon. If there is something in the way you don't want, such as there being another tail, you should erase it first before dragging the new part onto it. For this lesson I want you to replace the end of Lucario's arm with Octillery's mouth to create a sort of arm cannon. You will quickly run into the problem of just placing the mouth doesn't look good. This is because Octillery's mouth is way to big for Lucario's arm. In order to fix this draw a line starting from the outline of the top of Lucario's arm to Octillery's mouth a few pixels at a time. Every few pixels move the line up by one. When going up stop drawing and move up and left one before drawing again. Avoid pixels in outlines that connect pixels in a sharp L like way unless you are trying to make something like a sharp point. You don't have to connect the very top of Octillery's outline with Lucario's arm, stop once the outline of Octillery's mouth connects with the line you are drawing naturally. After that do the same to connect the outline of the bottom part of Lucario's arm with Octillery's mouth. Then erase the pixels outside the outline you just created. Finally fix up the shading making the end of the shading on Octillery's mouth meet up with the shading on Lucario's arm. While it didn't occur here sometimes when placing parts in programs like MS paint, the white parts will show the pixels behind them. In order to fix this change the color of the part to a random color nowhere else in the sprite, move the part over, then make the part white again. This can also be fixed by working on a background that isn't the color of any other part on the sprite, or by just fixing it up once you moved the part, though the latter is prone to more mistakes. Another thing to look out for is where things logically are on a sprite. A common spriting mistake I see is placing a part behind a pokemon when it makes no logical sense. Take the image above for example. Due to the way Accelgor is angled the wings are coming out of his back and his left shoulder. The sprites on the right fix this by placing Accelgor's other wing where it logically should be, so both wings are coming out of the shoulders. Depending on the angle the pokemon is facing wings won't always be facing towards the back. Sometimes it is more logical to place the wings to match the direction they are facing. However putting both wings on one side of a pokemon can look weird. Do what feels the most right. In the example image I did both, and it changes the angle Accelgor looks like its facing a little bit.
clorisdaone's Avatarclorisdaone
andrian's Avatarandrian
I hope this isn't an unwelcome disruption to the class, but I'd like some feedback on a sprite I'm working on. It's my first time trying to make clothes from scratch. I've been commissioned to add a yellow hoodie to this recolored Swampert. I originally tried to have the hood up, but those big frills on its head made that not work so well. The hood alone would have to be as big as the rest of the hoodie in order to go over them.
Check out my sprite shop! Rockruff chewing the furniture? Turtwig won't come out of its shell? Whatever your Pokemon question, you can always Ask Professor Cypress! Sprite used in avatar from original games, recolor and BG by me.
@AsteroidPizza39 I like that you took went beyond and recolored Octillery's mouth to Lucario's colors. Though I noticed that you forgot to recolor Octillery's lighter black color to Lucario's pure black color. While it can be hard to see, make sure that your blacks are the same color. The shading you added looks a bit off. I feel like the shading on the bottom of the arm could be extended to the left more, while the highlight could be shortened upwards a bit. While drastically altering shading is advanced for a fusion sprite, here are some tips in shading since you seem interested in it.

Shading tips

Place shading on the sprite like you would normally when drawing. The light source is on the top left, and shadows forming where the light is blocked. If you don't really know how shading works that's okay, I don't either. Since the lighting of sprites come from the top left, place the shade by the bottom right parts of sprites. Also place shading where something on top of/in front of something would block the right. Despite my inexperience I can usually make the shading look decent through that. When adding the shade draw the outline of where the shade would start, then color in the inside. Also keep in mind other light sources such as flames, as that could affect how you shade the sprite. There is a technique known as dithering that you might want to use if you want a shade in between two colors. It can be seen on the neck of this Bayleef. To dither make everything of the same color connect diagonally. Dithering is usually used sparingly on sprites. If you are ever unsure on how to shade or make something try to find an official pokemon sprite to use as a reference on how to make/shade it. Color the outline based on the color around it, based on what it would be if the sprite were to continue on. If the outline is by the base color, color it the outline color. If the outline is by a shade color, leave it black. You might also want to change the color of the outline so it doesn't blend in with objects surrounding the outline. Sometimes when a highlight color is by an outline the outline is colored with the shade color, however this is used sparingly.
I would also recommend extending the bottom left line segment of the arm two pixels to the right to give the arm cannon a more defined shape. Anyway I feel like you're ready to move onto the next lesson, sandwich placement.

Lesson 4 - Sandwich placement

Sometimes when making a sprite you will want to place something in front of some parts, and behind other parts. In order to do this first copy the part on the sprite that you want to go in front of the other part. After that put the middle part onto the sprite. Finally drag the part you copied earlier back onto the sprite. For this lesson I want you to take the Mime Jr. hat you separated earlier and put it on top of Thundurus, but have the front Thundurus's spiky part be in front of the hat. I want you to place the hat to show that you understand this skill as opposed to a logical placement. Don't forget to fix up the white part on Mime Jr.'s hat if the pixels show through it.
@clorisdaone The shading of the arm cannon looks a bit off. You have a base tone at the top of the arm cannon, and a base tone at the tip of the arm with shading between them. I recommend connecting the two base tones together by the top of the arm, though remember that shading is dependent on the shape of the object, and where the light is coming from(and in most pokemon sprites case the top left). The bottom of the arm/cannon looks a bit flat, and I recommend adding one more line segment in the middle of the long bottom line segment in the arm. I noticed on the arm that you have two different blacks mixed together. Sometimes pokemon sprites use a black that is slightly lighter than the default black in most art programs, and in this case Octillery's sprite has a slightly lighter black than Lucario's. I see that you made an attempt to fix this as most of Lucario's body appears to be recolored to this lighter black. If you're having trouble seeing if all the blacks are the same color try using the recolor tool to recolor a black to a neon color. If all of the black is recolored, then all of your black is the same color. I also noticed a few stray white pixels outside the outline on the sprite. Anyway I feel like you're ready to move onto the next lesson, sandwich placement.

Lesson 4 - Sandwich placement

Sometimes when making a sprite you will want to place something in front of some parts, and behind other parts. In order to do this first copy the part on the sprite that you want to go in front of the other part. After that put the middle part onto the sprite. Finally drag the part you copied earlier back onto the sprite. For this lesson I want you to take the Mime Jr. hat you separated earlier and put it on top of Thundurus, but have the front Thundurus's spiky part be in front of the hat. I want you to place the hat to show that you understand this skill as opposed to a logical placement. Don't forget to fix up the white part on Mime Jr.'s hat if the pixels show through it.
@andrian Judging by the position at the tip of the tail it looks like the body is twisting to the right slightly. I suggest moving the middle pocket to reflect this, as right now it's following the direction of the head. I feel like the strings have a lot of contrast with the main body of the hoodie, and if they're also suppost to be yellow could be lightened up a bit. At the left and right starts of the hood from the neck, I feel like the point they start looks a little lopsided. I recommend shortening the left side of the hoodie a bit.
IconicAnemone's AvatarIconicAnemone
I'm not finished with this sprite, but I don't know how to continue. It's supposed to be a latios with a decidueye hoodie, and I think I've got the basic shape down, but again, idk how to continue.

Pages: 123456

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2021 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | WikiGet shortlink for this page