PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

A guide to battles

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Guides >

ACottontail's AvatarACottontail
Have you ever wanted to get into battling in PFQ but not quite sure where to start? Sparing is very different from the main series games. There are no abilities. All battles are one on one. Your pokemon chooses moves from types and damage categories and there are no status moves. This is a guide to help you get into sparing in PFQ. Part I : Selecting a pokemon to train When battling there are 3 different stat categories you should be aware of. Damage, Attack/Special Attack: This determines how much damage your pokemon will do. No matter what you do your pokemon will sometimes use it's weaker attack stat. Protection, Health/Defense/Special Defense:This determines how much damage a pokemon can endure before fainting. Speed:Determines turn order in battle. Sometimes when a battle is close speed will determine who attacks first and win. An example battle of speed determining the winner can be seen here. When choosing a pokemon to use you first want to decide what species. All pokemon have different strengths and weaknesses as determined by their base stat total and typing. What pokemon you use is up to you though battles are determined by who has more health after 5 rounds. Some places ban or limit the number of megas and legendaries you can use so remember that before training a team of only megas and legendaries. A pokemon being a mega or a legendary does not mean it's more powerful than anything that isn't one. Look at mega Mawile for instance. It has a base stat total of 480 when something like Delphox has a base stat total of 534. Slaking is one of the best non-mega non-legendary pokemon out there. This beast has 670 base stat total, more than many mega pokemon and some legendaries. Without abilities on PFQ there is nothing holding it back. Slaking has a sky high attack and health. Slaking's main weakness is it's 65 base special defense leaving it weak to special attacks. Arguably another weakness is having a speed of just 100, however it still matches or out speeds a lot of pokemon. After Slaking the pokemon with the next best base stat total that isn't a legendary or mega is Wishiwashi's school forme. It has high attack and defense stats however it has low speed and health. After that are all of the Pseudo legendary pokemon. This is not counting normal PFQ fakemon or exclusives as I do not have access to a list of their base stat totals. As for the mega and legendary pokemon both mega Mewtwos, mega Raquaza, mega Grintina, Mega Ho-oh, Mega Lugia, Primal Dialga and Primal Palkia have the highest BST overall with 780 BST. After you chose a species of pokemon you want to train you have to find a good one of that species. This means you want to find one with a good nature and decent IVs. Natures give a 10% boost to a stat and a 10% decrease to another stat. There are also natures that give a boost to no stat. Generally you do not want a nature that hinders the pokemon's higher attack stat. You usually want a nature that boosts the pokemon's higher attack stat or speed though the exact best nature depends on your preferences and the pokemon it's self. As for IVs it is always best to have the highest IVs possible. The maximum IVs a pokemon can have in a stat is 31. A guide for breeding for IVs can be found here. While it's good to aim for good IVs it's not the end of the world if you don't use a perfect IV pokemon seeing as most people don't use perfect IV pokemon. However someone who does use a perfect IV pokemon will have an advantage over someone who doesn't. What is more important, natures or IVs?

Here are some tests

Here are some calucations done on Smogon's damage calculator to test how important natures and ivs are. All are done with a lv50 Sawk using close combat on an lv50 Abomasnow to test how different combinations of ivs and natures affect the damage a pokemon does. No EVs are used in these calculations. +atk 31 iv 153.9 - 181.8% -atk 31 iv 124.8 - 149% + atk 0 iv 138.1 - 163.6% - atk 0 iv 112.7 - 134.5% neutral attack 31 iv 141.8 - 167.2% neutral attack 0 iv 124.8 - 149%
What does this show? A 0IV Sawk with an attack boosting nature does more damage than a 31IV Sawk with an attack hindering nature. A 31IV Sawk with a neutral nature does a little more damage than a 0IV Sawk with an attack boosting nature, and that a 31IV Sawk with an attack hindering nature does about as much damage as a 0IV Sawk with a neutral nature. Part II: Training the Pokemon There are three steps to readying a pokemon for battle. Step 1: EV training EV training can be done in the training hall of the dojo. First to get bags put a pokemon into the training hall then click and collect the bags they get. Once you have bags click begin training and select which bags you want to use on your pokemon. Information on training bags can be found here. A pokemon can have up to 510, and it is a good idea to give them all 510 evs before sending them into spars. Step 2: IQ training This part is easy. Just simply feed your pokemon gummis until it's IQ stat maxes out. Gummis can be obtained from boxes. When giving pokemon gummis their IQ will boost the most by being given gummis of their type, followed by gummis that are super effective against their type. On average it takes about 20-21 gummis of the same type to fully IQ train a pokemon. Step 3: Gems Gems allow you to attack outside of their type. By giving a gem to a pokemon, they can use attacks of the same type the gem is. Generally you want to give pokemon a gem of a type that will cover their weaknesses. During certain battles you might want to change the gem your pokemon is holding to a type that you know will be super effective against your foe's next pokemon. However some places ban gems so be sure to take them off before challenging those places. And after that you have a pokemon that is ready to be used in battle. Part III : Battle Sparing in pokefarm is for the most part based on two things, overpowering the opponent and prediction. Overpowering the pokemon basically comes down to using the stronger pokemon. By completing the steps in part II your pokemon has an advantage over pokemon who weren't put through these steps. The second step is prediction. By guessing what pokemon your foe will use next you can gain the upper hand. Try to avoid using pokemon you think will be weak to your opponent's pokemon and try to send in one you think will have super effective attacks against your opponent's pokemon. You can also change the gem your pokemon is holding if you think it will be super effective against your foe's pokemon. That's it for this guide. Hope this helped you get into sparing on PFQ! If you have any questions or suggestions for improving this guide please post them here.
Check out my gym, and my Journal. Vearus sprite + banners by me.
Beta Wooper from the 1999 Gold/Sliver protype, the sprite was revamped and animated by me
~The trainer of raging dragons~
MelanUmbreon4's AvatarMelanUmbreon4
Hi. Can you explain types and what their strong against? If it's too much work, please don't suffer and do it. Thank you for listening!
Type Race Score: 1039
TR Credit: Hakano Riku/Guide
dingusmaximus's Avatardingusmaximus
wait hang on, EVs are genetic stat boosts that are randomized and cannot be changed when the egg hatches (though usually never more than the parent pokemons EV) and IVs are the stat boosts that you get from training, right?
Pfp done by moth.graveyard (allowed use by moth.graveyard as well)
2DS.sys's Avatar2DS.sys

QUOTE originally posted by Sentientbutter

wait hang on, EVs are genetic stat boosts that are randomized and cannot be changed when the egg hatches (though usually never more than the parent pokemons EV) and IVs are the stat boosts that you get from training, right?
No, it’s the other way around; IVs are genetic and EVs are from training.
The pfp was edited by us, it uses a official sprite of Chiaki Nanami from Danganronpa, and uses a coloring psd by kiochisato on tumblr
BinzoAlfredo's AvatarBinzoAlfredo
I was curious about some of the specifics of battling, so I decided to test some things and share the results here. Disclaimer: these are apporximations from the testing I've done; there's some degree of uncertainty to these estimates Damage Calculation My approximation of the damage formula in this game is Atk/Def*17*multipliers Atk is the attacker's Attack or Sp. Attack stat, Def is the target's Defense or Sp. defense stat, and multipliers are: STAB(same type attack bonus) 1.5x damage if the attack is the same type as the pokemon using it(includes delta type, does not include typeless attacks or attacks from holding a gem) *this bonus applies twice(1.5x1.5=2.25) for double typed Pokemon such as Apocalyptic Arcanine or "double delta" pokemon type effectiveness Same as usual in Pokemon games, super effective is x2, not very effective is x1/2, and immune is x0 Critical Hits critical hits multiply damage by 1.5, and each hit has ≈6.1% of being a critical hit. IQ and move selection A Pokemon with max IQ will select its best move ≈75% of the time. I might gather some more data over time and update this if needed, but for now I think my estimates are reasonably close. Hope someone finds this information helpful :]
My question is maybe not actually a question but a confirmation of something. The highlighted stat in the training room is the most important star for that Pokemon? And the other stat is the least important or second important? Sorry if it’s a noob question
SuperJedi224's AvatarSuperJedi224
If I understand what you're asking, the highlighted stats (if any, and which colors are used will depend on your theme) are the stats that are affected by the pokemon's nature, one of which recieves a 10% bonus while the other receives a 10% penalty (these modifiers should already be reflected in the calculated stat values) Which natures are the best will depend heavily on the particular pokemon, though I don't have enough experience with the pfq battle system to say for certain if the same natures are always the best here (generally it'll probably be similar in that regard though)
GalaxyDreamz's AvatarGalaxyDreamz
I sparred a friend with a rapidash of mine, but now the notification won't disappear nor can I use my rapidash in daycare anymore!! What can i do?!?
"Life is incomplete without living, so live your life! Don't commit, stay! God put you on this here planet for you to thrive and die of old age, not to die to yourself! Now get out there and have fun!" - Shard
ACottontail's AvatarACottontail

QUOTE originally posted by GalaxyDreamz

I sparred a friend with a rapidash of mine, but now the notification won't disappear nor can I use my rapidash in daycare anymore!! What can i do?!?
Click on the notification. If you scroll down to the bottom, there should be a button along the lines of dismiss. That should free up your Rapidash

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page