PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Display a symbol of some sort to designate banned users

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Camwoodstock's AvatarCamwoodstock
Now, I don't know how exactly one would want to go about this--perhaps a symbol next to the username, like the Hypermode or New User icons, or maybe a mark on their trainer card, but I find it very strange we have no way to tell which users are banned and which ones aren't. Some websites, such as forums, are very clear in this regard--I've seen sites that even just straight-up change your user avatar to a special "banned" symbol, or give your account a role that says you're banned. But Pokefarm... Isn't. And while we do have a pretty stable community for now, it's better to be safe than sorry and allow transparency for this. Currently, the only way to figure out if a user was account locked is if they straight-up say so... on another site. They can't make an alt--that'll be banned too and probably have its posts or any incriminating info saying "my main account was locked" removed just by proxy of the protocol for dealing with sockpuppets. And if they gave no info on their data on other sites, you're kinda screwed out from ever asking them, ESPECIALLY if they don't use the same username on other sites. Note that I feel as though this mark should be removed if the user is to be account unlocked. Every site I've seen, if a user was formerly banned and is then unbanned, the ban isn't counted against them publically--only the staff would know about their former ban unless the user decided to make that public themselves. Pros: This would allow transparency between the mod team and users besides the incredibly vague trainer IDs shown in the mod activity page--now we know who it was that got banned, and if they were even banned in the first place. In addition, this'd probably be quite easy to code. Just program in a new icon on a username or trainer card to appear on the variable of if an account is locked, and get the art team to design a quick "account locked" symbol--or even just re-use the standard lock symbol from other features on the site, such as the EXP lock! Cons: People might throw hands after finding out a user was account locked this whole time, sparking potential drama (potentially on-site, but for permalocks it's more likely that'd be an off-site issue). However, the bigger con is that this just simply might turn out useless if the community remains stable, and staff who would abuse power are never promoted. In which case this fails on its purpose by proxy of its purpose never being an issue. But hey, better safe than sorry.
Source: Eastern Mind (MS-DOS), the Chu-Teng Symbol
~CWS - THE EPIC BLUNDER~
{Cam | Genderfluid | Born: Yes | Single | Dork | Plays video games | 132nd Skywatcher} Uhh... Nothing. More to come, hopefully Icon: Boxart for Japanese-only game "Chu-Teng" (name romanized)
Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe
Wouldn't this go against the site rules?

QUOTE originally posted by Site Rules

5--Locked Members Locks are confidential, and you should NOT ask about someone else's account being Locked.
I really don't see why it's a necessity for us to know which users have had a lock imposed on them or not. This really seems unnecessary?? I'm sorry if I'm maybe interpreting this wrong, but I really don't see the use in knowing which users have been locked or not. I'm usually not a fan of "we cant add this because it'll make drama!!!!!" argument, since we have mods in place to handle that, but I really can't think of an outcome from this besides negative ones. Users can already talk about their own locks in private, again as said so in the rules, so if they need to be in touch with you they can do so by contacting you personally. I'm just really racking my brain trying to think of a situation where this is useful??
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp by me ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
Camwoodstock's AvatarCamwoodstock

QUOTE originally posted by Kiryu

Wouldn't this go against the site rules?

QUOTE originally posted by Site Rules

5--Locked Members Locks are confidential, and you should NOT ask about someone else's account being Locked.
I really don't see why it's a necessity for us to know which users have had a lock imposed on them or not. This really seems unnecessary??
Huh. It's been awhile, so uh, sorry if I forgot that one. I'll just slink into the abyss now--and by that I mean probably just ask for this to be moved to the rejected thread and locked.
MinniHowl's AvatarMinniHowl
The only thing I can think of that would make this useful is if someone is messaging or trying to trade (if they're trade locked) with the person in question, but otherwise I don't see a need for it. Obviously, it would have to only be visible for the duration of the lock, and not after. But yeah, currently it also goes against site rules in general, as Kiryu said.
~Xo, MinniHowl ● SHOPJOURNAL
Eltafez's AvatarEltafez
There are a few reasons as to why we can't implement this. Before I go into them, however, please allow me to make a small, yet significant correction: we use the term "lock" instead of "ban". A ban is permanent, unlike a lock. A lock signifies they can come back and, depending on the situation, we'll unlock them. ^^ Now onto the reasons... Firstly, we would indeed be breaking our own rules in the way of blacklisting. This is also why ModWatch doesn't show the username when a staff member locks an account. Yay for trying to be transparent when your own rules don't allow it! xD (We really do want to be transparent, but how are we supposed to enforce our own rules if we, ourselves, break them?) Secondly, and this ties into the first... not all locks are "heavy". Sometimes we use it to gain the full attention of the user. Believe it or not, we have had people ignore staff PMs until we locked them to say "Hey, this is pretty important, please respond." And lastly... it's really none of someone else's business to know unless the locked person wishes it, which they can do of their own accord. :P If someone hasn't responded to you in a while and it's regarding one of the rules (eg. trade agreement unfulfilled, contest prize not sent, etc.) you can report them and we'll look into their activity.
Avatar by me for my personal use only.

Links

Helpful: PFQ Rules | Staff Roster | Help Forums | PFQ Wiki Fan-made Tools: Calculator Personal: Journal
Template © Eltafez
I agree with Eltafez. For privacy and spam control reasons if this suggestion is implemented, the staff members would not be able to control the situation and PFQ might ending up getting shut down due to large amount of complaints. There are other reasons why the user is inactive. For example, I have never got locked myself and I have other reasons to take a break in PFQ because I want to spend my time on digging old abandonware games that I have memories with. Also, locked users who are permanently locked are not able to make interactions so eventually the users will move on when they know the user who got locked is no longer active in PFQ. So other than the know of what users got locked, I don’t see much advantage to this suggestion.
Made by Animela
origin of gif is linked in image (8:11)
Made by Animela
Signature by CatEnergetic, with help from Wardove. Official Fire Emblem Heroes art!

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page