PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Daily backup failure + potential changes

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 7891011

Knucks's AvatarKnucks
Random thought... What would be the repurcussions of continuing on with a daily backup, but bypassing the shelter? It seems that there are just increasing number of eggs/Pokemon in the shelter, and the data size for the shelter is an influencing factor as to why it crashes there. I understand that all of us pull our eggs/breeding pairs/what have you from the shelter; but would it be the end of days if we didn't have the shelter backed up? Worst case scenario people would still have daycare eggs, and excess Pokemon in their fields, and we could all just release a bunch of stuff to populate the shelter if a catastrophe happened and it wiped all the shelter data. And along that topic... could you do a daily backup of everything except the shelter, while backing up the shelter weekly? I voted for weekly, but I am biased because most of my activity happens on the weekends due to work and other obligations, so generally speaking 5 days a week I'll be minimally impacted. So if it were possible to backup shelter separately from member's fields/parties for example; it would likely be a fair compromise between the people in favor of a week, and those in favor of daily.
Meihru's AvatarMeihru

QUOTE originally posted by Knucks

Random thought... What would be the repurcussions of continuing on with a daily backup, but bypassing the shelter? It seems that there are just increasing number of eggs/Pokemon in the shelter, and the data size for the shelter is an influencing factor as to why it crashes there. I understand that all of us pull our eggs/breeding pairs/what have you from the shelter; but would it be the end of days if we didn't have the shelter backed up? Worst case scenario people would still have daycare eggs, and excess Pokemon in their fields, and we could all just release a bunch of stuff to populate the shelter if a catastrophe happened and it wiped all the shelter data. And along that topic... could you do a daily backup of everything except the shelter, while backing up the shelter weekly?
Im all in for that idea, worst case scenario of loosing shelter is imo actually Not even that bad since it would technically wouldnt harm anyone And from what i understood, the shelter is the biggest issue with backup atm
avatar commissioned @ YaGurlShelly
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
That's actually how I "fixed" the problem, since the Shelter is a "derived" table in that it gets frequently recalculated anyway.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
DooK's AvatarDooK
"daily backup of everything except the shelter, while backing up the shelter weekly?" Makes the most sense, and what I would have suggested had I commented back when I orginally read the post. lol. But I'm so glad that it's possible. Thanks for the quick announcement and as it seems, fix.
EVERYTHING UFS --Seeking Paypal and Currency~
Camwoodstock's AvatarCamwoodstock
Daily downtime is annoying, but losing a potential week or even month of gameplay would be even WORSE, let alone a day. A month would be an entire EVENT--imagine if that was lost to the void!! I'd very much rather take a daily backup. Sure, it'd be annoying, but it's much better than losing that data.
Source: Eastern Mind (MS-DOS), the Chu-Teng Symbol
~CWS - THE EPIC BLUNDER~
{Cam | Genderfluid | Born: Yes | Single | Dork | Plays video games | 132nd Skywatcher} Uhh... Nothing. More to come, hopefully Icon: Boxart for Japanese-only game "Chu-Teng" (name romanized)
D.MC's AvatarD.MC
id rather have the daily backups still. i was just skimming through the comments s i just woke up, but if i restart my melan vulpix hunt and that progress got lost durring the weekly backup i would be very upset because how will i get that progress back? just 20 minutes of down time is not bad at all, honestly its a good thing because it gives everyone a break from clicking and makes sure that we keep that days progress and not that weeks or months progress. just 20 minutes of down time isnt an issue compared to if sally decides to shut the whole site down for an entire day or two because she said so lol if we had the daily still and a bigger back up weekly to make sure eveything as a whole is ok, i think that may work? ^^; EDIT: ive lost TONS of game info quite a few times because of my older 360. im not wanting to loose THIS game progress or another games pogress again. i use games to honstly help me with stress, it kinda doesnt help with stress when i have to work harder for that progress.

PM's welcomed as long as its an actual conversation. person who made my PFP.
I'm really glad you fixed the problem. In my opinion daily backups would still bE best, or maybe every other dAy like some other people suggested. A week is just too much, especially for hardcore s/a/m hunters.
Avatar made by me ~ iF i tYpeLikE tHis, it means I'm on mobile. Typing is weird on mobile.
MegaLopunny's AvatarMegaLopunny
A week between backups is way too much time. That is a ton of data that could potentially be lost if something terrible every truly happened. Daily, or every-other-day backups would probably feel more secure for many people, especially those who play the game intensively.
My name is Finch but you can call me Lopunny or Bunny.
Lv. 96 — 20,017 / 27,937
Aspear EggAspear Egg
Aspear Egg (SOUR)
Cheri EggCheri Egg
Cheri Egg (SPICY)
Chesto EggChesto Egg
Chesto Egg (DRY)
Pecha EggPecha Egg
Pecha Egg (SWEET)
Rawst EggRawst Egg
Rawst Egg (BITTER)
NormalFighting
Happiness MAX
Calm nature
Kahuna's AvatarKahuna
I'm definitely going to agree with everyone saying weekly isn't often enough. I mean, how many melans are hatched in a week? You wouldn't want all those at risk. However, would it be possible to separate the backup into sections over the period of a day? So instead of taking up 20 minutes of the active time of one group of users, take 5 mins every 6 hours? I think that would help to not impede gameplay with an increased amount of time needed for the reset.
If I forget to respond to a post or trade please PM me! I may have forgotten to subscribe. Avatar from Pokémon Showdown April Fools Day sprites, recolored by me.
MishaBaby's AvatarMishaBaby
+1 for daily backups! As someone who has experienced the pain of losing untold amounts of stuff because of backups that were spaced out too far, I cannot be more staunch in my belief that the wait for daily backups is worth it. There are things on this site that you have to save for long periods of time to obtain, and with breeding for stats/natures/etc being a thing here... daily backups can be a real sanity-saver for not only players but also for whoever is in charge of helping people regain lost stuff after a catastrophic failure. Even if it takes an hour, that wait is still preferable to possibly loosing days of work, because let's be honest: how many of us keep track of every action we make and every poké we breed? If you've got a spreadsheet somewhere detailing every action you've ever taken on this game, that's great, but for the rest of us mere mortals, that's what the backups are for. They are the safety net to protect our data in the event that something goes wrong, and too long of a window between backups means large holes in that safety net. In the future, perhaps Niet will find a way to back up only player data on a daily basis, and backup everything else in one "big weekly backup" so that it doesn't take as long on every other day. Obviously, I'm not a coder so I have no idea if that's possible, but if that is feasible, it may be worth considering as the site continues to grow. Either way, daily backups are a must. Too much can charge for individual players from day to day, and backups that are spaced too far apart will only contribute to stress should the unthinkable ever happen. TL;DR: Daily backups for player info at least. If no way to separate, daily backups for everything. It's worth the wait!
Seeking lab born Vivillon of all colors to complete my collection; I can offer swaps of Meadow coloring. Just PM me. ♥ ALWAYS SEEKING OT Swap partners! Please PM me if you need OT swaps for anything, especially if you have Lab-Borne pokés to swap! ^.^  

Pages: 123··· 7891011

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page