PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Daily backup failure + potential changes

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 1234567··· 91011

Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

I mean basically, if we need to rollback from a backup, things are already really really bad and there'd be a lot of compensation to go around - even if it's just rolling back a few hours! If you were to plot a graph of "badness over time rolled back", then it'd obviously start at zero with zero roll back time, massively jump up, then stay pretty level after that. Realistically speaking, rolling back a few hours is already so bad that rolling back a few days isn't actually significantly worse... That's why I'm leaning in favour of weekly rather than daily backups. The upside of not having 20-30 minutes of downtime every day is actually quite a positive effect.
I........uh I disagree, I guess? In my mind, losing at most one day of work is, in fact, not equal to losing up to 7 days of work. Losing one day of work (or a couple hours) is very very bad, yes, but I very much disagree that losing 7 days of work is only just as bad, or maybe a little bit worse but nothing significantly so. Especially with how random chance everything on this site is, it's not guaranteed that any amount of work can be made up equally. It's not "Oh well, I guess I'll have to do the past two days over again in the exact same way to get to where I was again!" Melans don't tend to work like that. And I know this statement could be used against me, as "Ah! Maybe, if it is all random, the amount of time lost doesn't matter! Maybe the redid days will be better for you!" could be a conclusion you could arrive to, but...I would still prefer to minimize the potential time that would be lost. I'd hate for a new melan discovery to be erased 5 or 6 days after the fact. Yes, it could still happen if it crashed on the same day, but it's potentially up to 7 times more likely to be lost if it's only once a week. (and I know it's all potentials and I know it depends on when during the week it happens, etc etc, the point is that there is a much longer period of time that is in risk rather than a shorter period of time that it is in risk) I suppose I am biased as I'm looking from the perspective of those who are relying on very small chances and the desire to secure/save the data if those chances finally roll in our favor, instead of the average user who may be more inconvenienced by losing a couple hours of playtime per week. I would rather not be able to play for a short amount of time rather than having something good happen (that is somewhat out of my control of if it will definitely happen or not) be exposed to higher risk due to it being in a risky situation for a longer period of time. (whoops accidentally upvoted instead of quoted >_>;;; darn u irreversible upvotes)
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp by me ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
bloubirdie's Avatarbloubirdie
I didn’t read the majority of the thread, but in theory, would it be possible to back up only certain parts of the site daily, and then backup other parts weekly in a longer backup period? For example, backing up owned pokemon and items daily while shelter and other things backup weekly? Just a thought and I don’t know either the possibility or the downsides to something like this, tbh
Avatar by me! I am working on a Naughty Shiny Living Dex! Please PM me if you'd like to contribute!
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
@Kiryu You have to consider that you're one of thousands. One person would indeed have a lot of variation between a few hours and a few days. But overall looking at the whole thing, there isn't much difference.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Azram's AvatarAzram
I have 24 hours a day, I can wait 20 minutes for a backup. I don't have the inner strenght to recover a week's worth of progress given the case of a server failure right before the backup starts.
I long for the time when the memories will fly away upon the horizon while I'm still walking along the path.
Leopardmask's AvatarLeopardmask
I'm play on one other petsite besides PFQ and to reduce lag in general (and probably make a backup, idk) they have a half-hour downtime at rollover every day. They've been doing this successfully for nearly six years now without too many complaints beyond "oops forgot it was rollover -_-". Now, maybe no one complains because it's a fact of life, but any change made to a site will become a fact of life pretty quickly. I'm always asleep for rollover on that site, whereas I'm active online around rollover here and would probably notice extra downtime if it happened at rollover (when does that downtime happen, anyway? You mentioned it happening every day but I've never noticed), but that's a personal time zone problem and absolutely has no affect on the site population as a whole. I think it's good to stick with daily backups.
Lv. 100 — +89,745
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
Steel
Happiness 27%
Lax nature
merr critmiss
I can see why weekly would be better, but i feel like daily is a lot better. If there is a lot of infomation to back up, once a week may take several hours to back up due to the backlog of infomation it has to duplicate. And i feel that might be worse than a daily backup. 20 minutes a day, compared to missing out on several hours in a day, It seems more like the 20 would be a lot better. On top of that im paranoid and honestly would be better for my mind if it's backed up every day ;v; BUT do what you guys feel is more efficient, if weekly makes it easier on the system, then do it weekly. if daily is better on the system, do the daily ;v;

Image Credits

My icon is a screenshot taken from the Tangled TV Series. All rights belong to disney.
Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

@Kiryu You have to consider that you're one of thousands. One person would indeed have a lot of variation between a few hours and a few days. But overall looking at the whole thing, there isn't much difference.
I mean, that may be true, but are thousands of users being affected by not having 20 minutes during the least populated time of day? I know technically all users are affected since all users aren't able to access PFQ during that time, but there are a significantly smaller portion that are actively online during that time that are affected. The majority of users are not online during that time, hence why it is set to be that time, correct? I know I don't have the numbers so I don't know exactly how many users are online cumulatively during that time VS during the more active hours of the day, and they may very well be more than the amount of users that do depend on the high-chance features of PFQ such as myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (if it is 1:1k then yeah obviously there's more online during the downtime hours jkfdjfdkaf but it's not as high of a ratio as literally everyone online during the entire day VS those affected heavily by crashes) I'm someone who is only online during that time maybe 5-10% of the time, so I am not as heavily affected as someone who is mainly/consistently online during that time.
Narflunk's AvatarNarflunk

QUOTE originally posted by Mystery-Penguin

If there is a lot of infomation to back up, once a week may take several hours to back up due to the backlog of infomation it has to duplicate. And i feel that might be worse than a daily backup. 20 minutes a day, compared to missing out on several hours in a day, It seems more like the 20 would be a lot better.
It has already been said that the time it takes will not change if it is a weekly backup. aim guessing the way the back up works is it takes a "snapshot" of what the website looks like at the time of the backup, not going through and documenting all the changes that have happened since the previous one.
Buy stuff at my Shop Score: 1560
Tych's AvatarTych
this just my opinion not sure if someone has brought this up in more detail or not but what if you guys do both the dailys and weekly Backups, the only difference being that the daily backups are for core important saves and the weekly is for everything.
HybridYüki's AvatarHybridYüki
I personally think continuing with daily backups is the safest option. This is the way its been for awhile, and there haven't been any problems. I don't see much of a point in changing it. c:
84/150
Please feel free to check out my art shop

Pages: 1234567··· 91011

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page