PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Daily backup failure + potential changes

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123456··· 91011

Sitten1115's AvatarSitten1115
I’d much rather it was kept to daily, I remember (if my memory is being nice) that we actually have had to go back to the backup at least once, and so much can happen in just a day. Heck, I’d even take an hour long backup over risking losing a weeks work. Especially for the more active players who can hatch hundreds of eggs a day. Ofc I’m also a chronic saver so that may effect my view.
Check out my shop for free dex trades! Credit for current avatar here
Signature by CatEnergetic, with help from Wardove. Art by Miasaurus.

QUOTE originally posted by Trebor

1) No changes please until the current (revised) analysis comes back and can be vetted. Right now knowing that you don't know isn't nearly enough to propose this change, in my opinion. 2) Are daily backups expected to continue to remain around 20 minutes, increase slightly, continue to increase, or decrease in some way once you figure out if/how to make them happen completely? 3) What is the increased risk to once per week backups vs daily? If all users would literally lose a week of effort (especially trades, special hatches and the like), I think that would get a hard NO from most users. As I am 99% online daily over backup, and am thus affected at least as much as anyone else, the security of knowing I would at most lose a days worth of effort as things stand right now if something catastrophic should happen, is very much worth not being able to play for even half an hour a day.
1) We're not analysing anything. I don't understand what you're getting at ^^' 2) As I said, previously, yes. 3) Well I suppose that would first depend on when the crash happened. After all, if it happened 1 day after the backup, then obviously it's only 1 day. 2 days = 2 days. 3 days = 3 days. Up until the back-up happens again, at which point the counter there kinda resets, I guess. But yeah, you don't lose a week - you lose up to a week.
kjokjo75's Avatarkjokjo75
What about biweekly? I feel like it's a good compromise.
Rokon's AvatarRokon
I don't understand. What's been going on? I might be a lil bit stupid but the post didn't really say what's happened, something about the shelter and the back-ups not working?
cee - he/she/they - 21 icon from Rachel and Jun youtube sig sprite by me stoked sparksurfer! everything i post is to be read in the flattest voice possible
Frostleaf's AvatarFrostleaf
If the back up moved to weekly wouldn't that mean the back up time would be more then the 20min it is now though?
Narflunk's AvatarNarflunk

QUOTE originally posted by Rokon

I don't understand. What's been going on? I might be a lil bit stupid but the post didn't really say what's happened, something about the shelter and the back-ups not working?
When the back up got to the part where it saved the shelter data, it would crash, preventing the back up from continuing. Also it crashed in a way that didn't notify anyone of the crash. Things that were scheduled to be backed up after the shelter ended up not being backed up at all.
Buy stuff at my Shop Score: 5797
a.nonymous's Avatara.nonymous
You could do a back up once a week, and back up right before and update, but i prefer daily backups it is more safe.
Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe

QUOTE originally posted by Frostleaf

If the back up moved to weekly wouldn't that mean the back up time would be more then the 20min it is now though?

QUOTE originally posted by Garthic

Doing it once a week would not change the amount of time that the backup would take, for reference. It would just change how often we do it. It doesn't affect us at all. That's why we're asking you guys for your opinion :)
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp by me ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]

QUOTE originally posted by Kiryu

Even if it is a pain in the butt, I really prefer the security of daily backups rather than taking the chances of a weekly backup. Even if it's wonderful that we've never needed the backups so far, if the time does come one day that we do..................that's 7 days of progress, potentially. 7 days of melans, 7 days of dex progress, 7 days of interactions, IP, breeding, everything. Unless there's a sufficient way of restoring what has been lost (which would be hard to prove, I could imagine, besides maybe ZC bought from the site itself) I still vote for daily backups. Unless, of course, I am misunderstanding what the consequences of a crash/etc would be, which is very possible. :P I've never known of the effects in detail since it's never happened nor have I seen explained in much detail besides Oh It'd Probably Be Bad
I mean basically, if we need to rollback from a backup, things are already really really bad and there'd be a lot of compensation to go around - even if it's just rolling back a few hours! If you were to plot a graph of "badness over time rolled back", then it'd obviously start at zero with zero roll back time, massively jump up, then stay pretty level after that. Realistically speaking, rolling back a few hours is already so bad that rolling back a few days isn't actually significantly worse... That's why I'm leaning in favour of weekly rather than daily backups. The upside of not having 20-30 minutes of downtime every day is actually quite a positive effect.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Rokon's AvatarRokon

QUOTE originally posted by Narflunk

When the back up got to the part where it saved the shelter data, it would crash, preventing the back up from continuing. Also it crashed in a way that didn't notify anyone of the crash. Things that were scheduled to be backed up after the shelter ended up not being backed up at all.
Thank you! xD Sorry for my slow. I err to the side of daily. Even if it's 20 mins of downtime. Gives people a forced break too lol.

Pages: 123456··· 91011

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page