PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Daily backup failure + potential changes

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 891011

i beilie in the daily system, because if say weekly backup goes wrong i dont want to lose any of my pokemon.or anything in general.
also my old icon was by aidanshepard. new one is by unindigo from an old commision. -dragons-
Narflunk's AvatarNarflunk
I'm not sure entirely what changes have happened in the last day or so since this update was announced (I belive Niet mentioned the fix was to remove the shelter from being backed up) but I'd like to throw some numbers out that I saw with today's backup:
  • Backup began at 10:12 and ended at 10:22 - only 10 minutes, not the previously estimated 20. Probably has something to do with the above-mentioned change.
  • Only about 280 people were logged in at the time when backup began.
  • The backup progression went pretty quickly until 64% completion, where it sat for the longest time (about 6 minutes). I wonder what happens at that stage? It went pretty quickly again after passing that point.
Just some things to think about, moving forward with this debate. If you can't tell I get pretty bored sometimes and document/pay attention to random things
Buy stuff at my Shop Score: 5797
Esme's AvatarEsme
Yeah, no. I'm not losing a melan or something if the weekly backup messes up something, that would drive me up the edge
i have nothing but love for the places that call me home
★ art made by me ★ background ★ icon - me - my shop

QUOTE originally posted by Narflunk

I'm not sure entirely what changes have happened in the last day or so since this update was announced (I belive Niet mentioned the fix was to remove the shelter from being backed up) but I'd like to throw some numbers out that I saw with today's backup:
  • Backup began at 10:12 and ended at 10:22 - only 10 minutes, not the previously estimated 20. Probably has something to do with the above-mentioned change.
  • Only about 280 people were logged in at the time when backup began.
  • The backup progression went pretty quickly until 64% completion, where it sat for the longest time (about 6 minutes). I wonder what happens at that stage? It went pretty quickly again after passing that point.
Just some things to think about, moving forward with this debate. If you can't tell I get pretty bored sometimes and document/pay attention to random things
I can explain the time difference - a change was made that we haven't yet announced since we wanted to check the result of it first. It wouldn't have led to any misplaced information so it was fine to wait on it and see what the time-related result was. Since 10 minutes is apparently the time it took, I think it's safe to say improvements have been made! That said, I'll stop rambling and explain. The shelter information didn't need saving because everything in the shelter is populated from a different table that states that the Pokémon / eggs belong to "null". Everything that belongs to "null" is in the shelter. The shelter "re-populates" itself every 15 minutes. So as long as that 'different table' that I mentioned has the relevant information in it, the shelter itself is basically covered. It might take until the next shelter update to 'show up' but that's, at worst, a 15 minute wait, which if we've had to rollback... Is the least of our problems xD Since I'm here, I will quickly respond to the other bullet points c': The number of people online at the time of the backup is a non-issue. There could be 3,000 people online and the only reason that would take longer is because of the fact that 3,000 people online would mean we're generating about 3x the information we are now (at the peakest of times) :p 64% Is about The Pokémon - 67% should be the timelines. So sayeth the Noot. Or something like that, anyway - that's not specific-specific but it should help give you an idea :D That said, I'm gonna go ahead and edit the first post ^^
wishmaker's Avatarwishmaker
i'd prefer a backup before reset rather than so early in the day or a little later than 11am
DADDi's AvatarDADDi

QUOTE originally posted by Garthic

I'd edit the poll to reflect this information but you can't edit polls :p
cue 20 people going to the suggestions forum to suggest this on a serious note, im one for the daily backups. they've been around for a long time and no one (as far as i know) has any problem with it so why change it?
BLACK LIVES MATTER
Narflunk's AvatarNarflunk

QUOTE originally posted by Garthic

The number of people online at the time of the backup is a non-issue. There could be 3,000 people online and the only reason that would take longer is because of the fact that 3,000 people online would mean we're generating about 3x the information we are now (at the peakest of times) :p
I was actually noting this for the people wondering how active that time was. It is the time that seems to be the least active during the day (and Niet said there are usually about 300 online at the time) and I just wanted to add some numbers. Today the backup took a whole 10% longer!!! So 11 minutes >_< And there were only like 240 people online. So having it remain at this time seems to make the most sense. Although I do like the idea to separate the backup into sections, where some of the critical data is backed up daily (like user pokemon, currencies, etc.) and other things are backed up slightly less often (again the problem is deciding what is less important).
GLJordan's AvatarGLJordan

QUOTE originally posted by Ameyoru

i'd prefer a backup before reset rather than so early in the day or a little later than 11am
keep in mind not everybody is in the same time zone as you. reset for me is around 8pm. back up now 5am
selocon's Avatarselocon

QUOTE originally posted by Ameyoru

They picked the time they did because its the period when the least number of people are online. It was a different time (I think it was later in the day?) and everyone was coming online around that time, lots and lots of people. So they moved it. I'm sure if it needs a change, they'd have fixed it.
Avatar by the best lizard ever, Bananalizard #standwithEMS #ELM
Score: 2659
shakespeare38's Avatarshakespeare38
I agree with those saying every other day or every three days. A week is too long but a day I feel could be too much. But I see where everyone else is coming from, especially those who have active hunts and things of that nature.

Pages: 123··· 891011

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page