PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Add filtering to Player Reviews based on feedback

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
It is fairly common for comments and reviews on the internet to include "Was this helpful?" buttons for readers to provide their opinion on a piece. In fact PFQ's review system has had these buttons from the start. But they never really did much. This suggestion is simple: if a review has received over 80% negative feedback (after a minimum of 5 votes), then it will appear hidden by default. There will be a button to view the content anyway. More importantly, these reviews will be excluded from the overall totals. While this will, of course, affect negative reviews that were based on misunderstandings or rants that users disagree with, this is relatively rare - people do have valid concerns about us that we're working on! But rather, this is also intended to discourage even 5-star reviews that have little or no useful content. Or bizarre ones that again don't help anyone. Or people asking questions in reviews... Examples:

★★★★☆ Other than the rules, I'm addicted to this game, love it!!!!! 👍 0 👎 5

★★★★★ I love this site 👍 0 👎 9

★★★★★ I like this game. Hoi 👍 0 👎 7

★★★★☆ Lots of fun... except for mass clicking 👍 2 👎 7

★★★★★ The fields are great, but I don't believe there is a way to lock a field so only you can see. Correct me if I am wrong. 👍 1 👎 6
Approximately 55 reviews will be affected by this change. I realise that player reviews can be a slightly controversial subject, particularly our decision to host them on-site rather than using a third-party system like TrustPilot. Our reasons for doing that include being able to attach them to the actual player, allowing us to resolve any issues they have much faster. It also prevents people from leaving harmful reviews when they're locked for rule-breaking (I'm sorry, but us enforcing our terms of service which you violated doesn't give you the right to pan us...) and overall results in better quality reviews. I'd also like to mention that I've gotten accusations of doctoring the reviews, especially by "deleting" 1/5 star reviews. This is quite simply untrue: the 1-star reviews that "disappeared" were changed to 3+ stars by the reviewer's request after we had discussed their issues and resolved them fully to their satisfaction - that is, after all, the point of reviews! Anyway, distractions aside, what do you people think? Should reviews that have received overwhemlingly negative feedback from readers be content-hidden by default and not counted in totals? Or not? Or something else?
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Morzone's AvatarMorzone
I feel kind of bad for the people who made the reviews, even if they are minimalist in the amount of effort put into it, but over all I think this would be good for the site. The reviews weren't there (At least I don't think they were, it was a while ago now) when I joined so I'm not really sure how much impact they have on whether or not a person joins. I can't imagine that the me at the time I joined would've cared for details, but I'm just one person. In short, I think it'll make things feel more honest, give better information, and provide a better reflection of what the site is actually about. Support!
Avatar was created for me, the sprite in the avatar was made by WriterRaven
Score: 0
Duckbug's AvatarDuckbug
you left out the most obvious unhelpful review, and don't pretend you don't know the one. Well, according to what I learned in statistics, anything higher than 5% is considered abnormally large, and as of right now this would hide about 6.21% of reviews. And I must say, a minimum of five votes seems rather low. This is especially true when you consider that from what I see, a good chunk of the reviews deemed unhelpful are, like...
👍 2 👎 183
Though perhaps you could explain your reasoning for having chosen a minimum of five votes. Though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I tend to down vote the "I LIKE THIS GAME WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" reviews also, so perhaps it could almost even out. Overall, I'd like a bit more information before giving an absolute answer but I mostly like the idea. c:

Journal

18+

Trade Shop

new Clan()

Raca (PFQ Wiki)

Sei

QUOTE originally posted by Duckbug

you left out the most obvious unhelpful review, and don't pretend you don't know the one.
Yeah, yours. :p Honestly the numbers 5 and 80% were picked because they were complementary (80% = 4/5), they could just as easily be 10 and 90%, or 8 and 50%, whatever winds up finding a good balance. A lot of the reviews don't have many up- or down-votes as it stands, which is why I was keeping the threshold reasonably low but not so low as to allow just a couple of initial downvotes to bury it (you need 5 downvotes without any upvotes to be hidden with the proposed numbers) If you're crazy enough to, feel free to scrape the data, plug it into a calculator, and find a more balanced system. Knowing you, you might just do that :D
Duckbug's AvatarDuckbug

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

[…] If you're crazy enough to, feel free to scrape the data, plug it into a calculator, and find a more balanced system. Knowing you, you might just do that :D
Is that a challenge? To be fair, though, I haven't gone snooping in a while. I'm beginning to miss it... :P Alright, so maybe I was just looking at the one-star reviews... Okay, so I was just looking at the one-star reviews. I guess it makes sense that the roughly 92.33% of users that like the game
"Like" being a rating of four or five stars for the sake of this explanation.
would want to defend it against the negative reviews. Regardless, after reading your explanation, more than 80% negative votes with a minimum of five votes would be harder to obtain than it initially sounded to me. So yes, this is a suggestion that I can get behind.
Objective complete: nerd-snipe Duckbug. :3
ChromaSys's AvatarChromaSys
I've never seen Niet make a suggestion before c: Anyways, I definitely support. The only thing I'm concerned about is people down-rating reviews just to get them hidden or something.
Avatar made by TheMushroomNacho c:<3<3<3 Tanks created by Box<3
seeing actually helpful reviews would be well helpful "THIS GAME IS GREAT" doesn't give any useful info to new users that are looking to join and apparently some newbies even got the impression it is a fast paced game?¿ i think filtering out unhelpfuls would see an increase to new users joining, and more likely to stay as they get a better idea of the game first off. so with that, full support
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
Jayx's AvatarJayx
Full support. When I read reviews I'm not looking for "Awesome game!!!" Or "This sucks!!!". I'm looking for details as to WHY it was awesome or not so great. I always hate having to go through 5 pages of 3 word reviews trying to find useful information. I had this problem not too long ago looking for a good version of Sodoku.
Avatar made by Daemos Permission/credits in my Journal
I completely support this! I have looked at the reviews (for fun, of course, why not) & some of them are just so crappily done. And then you see the reviews where they give really bad scores, but then they never answer WHY they gave the bad score besides their minimalistic one sentence. It would be good to hide these 'spammy' sorts of reviews if they rank too low. It would clean it up a bit.
Profile Picture made by my friend on Facebook for ME only! Proud user of SerenesForest! (Kaden badge made by Dwlr on SerenesForest for me (just for general forum usage)) Non suspicious Saeran made by Yukinora! Sorry if I type too much, I am good at overexplaining.

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page