PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Pokefarm Mentors; Discussion 'Ideas'

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 123456··· 141516

Qwertypop04's AvatarQwertypop04
I think there should be no age restriction, mentors should be based on how they act, your age doesn't define you Also, I've seen people, and thought they we're adult be their behavior on site, but they we're like, 5 also it would benifit me as under 18 xD
Silverdni's AvatarSilverdni
I agree that age limit should not be included. One thing I've noticed when playing on this site is that I assume that most players are around my age. When I find out more about them and that they're an adult or someone significantly older than I am, I'm just like wow. XD If a player wishes to become a mentor, age shoudn't play a part. Rather how one chooses to depict themselves as mature or immature should be the primary principle. Not to mention, some players lie about their age which would void the age limit to some degree. Another possibility could be to assign new players who want help into groups such as children, teenagers and adults. Then pair each group with mentors respective to each category. This allows for players to feel more comfortable communicating to someone their age and perhaps form bonds to make friends. Of course, this proably has some flaws, but I'm not sure of the flaws at the moment.
Credit for IMG
ohush's Avatarohush

QUOTE originally posted by SilverDarkness

Another possibility could be to assign new players who want help into groups such as children, teenagers and adults. Then pair each group with mentors respective to each category. This allows for players to feel more comfortable communicating to someone their age and perhaps form bonds to make friends. Of course, this proably has some flaws, but I'm not sure of the flaws at the moment.
I really like this idea. As an adult, I would not be interested in mentoring children nor would I want one to "mentor" me. I think there definitely should be a "quiz" of sorts for both mentors/mentees to take so they get matched with their best fit. One of the questions should be this and also timezones. I also think there should be an exit program with no hard feelings if the mentee/mentor don't work out. I disagree with the idea that you can only have one mentee, as I have lots of free time and would be able to deal with multiple. Each mentor should have their own "student" before people start getting multiple though. I also believe there should be a minimum limit of active time playing, depending on how many people sign up as mentors for this program. If only 3 people want to be mentors, then obviously the minimum could be much lower. But if it's a hit, then the minimum should be higher. 3 months playtime while being active nearly every day seems like a fair amount to me.
G0ne's AvatarG0ne
As someone that legit plays around 40 hours combined on weekends and 30 on weekdays I think that activity time should have SOME affect in who is chosen as a mentor or even how many people you can mentor. I do not agree with the thoughts on the age thing though. That not only makes you an open target for one of the recent news updates Constantine made, it also just seems unfair. Im not even 18 yet I feel I could very well explain, and I have before, this entire site. I can be extremely mature of stupid and I can be extremely emotional or dead-faced so to speak. Age really has nothing to do with anything. Your actions and expertise in meeting said criteria should be the only affecting factors. And once again, I would love the option to have multiple people to mentor lol, I have mentored numerous users on my own and helped them all so let me have you know, its worth it knowing you can help someone, and its not always a ton of work either.
Sumeragi's AvatarSumeragi
I could see the age thing going both ways, but I would have to say maybe keep them generally grouped together? People who are similar ages generally understand each other a bit better than a 21 year old explaining the site to a 10 year old. Of course, you'd still want to make sure that a 12 year old mentoring a 10 year old is still knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the site and as for the older people(and everyone really) to make sure that they are honest about the information they are giving and aren't just using their mentees to gain specific items for cheap. Personally, I think two people who are the same age tend to get along better and are able to make a connection a bit better than a 21 year old would with a 10 year old, just because they have the similiarity between the two, and potentially may even make a good friend in the run. After all, being a mentor isn't just about explaining the features and the logistics of the site, it's also about building that relationship and making sure they're enjoying their time here so that they may stay and actually become part of the community. It's a customer service job and the mentor is 'selling' the site to the newbies with their knowledge and experience of the site all the while, needing to make a positive connection with their mentee and making them feel welcome- something I believe would be done easier if the mentor and the mentees were within a few years of each other.
G0ne's AvatarG0ne
I mean I see your point But then I disagree aswell in a way See, I used to talk a ton, make a bunch of friends, blah blah blah Age really becomes irrelevant on here for numerous reasons 1-Online, nobody cares about your age, they care about your actions for its all they see, people make assumptions all the time anyways so its not something to dwell on in terms of judging mentors on age 2-Common interest are all around us, without being the same/near same age. The biggest and most obvious one being pokemon, the whole reason we are on this site. You can make friends fast and easy just by starting a conversation talking about your favorite pokemon! 3-Its online, age just doesnt matter. If you need help, you dont know who you are asking. Not their name. Not where they live. Not their age. Not their gender. Not their sexuality. And if you do, cool. It just doesnt matter. If I need help, Im going to ask someone for it, and it doesnt matter if they are a stay at home mom/dad with no job or a hard working teen working so they can save money up for a vacation with some friends, if they know how to help they know. I guess my point is that everyone is concerned with age, but really in all honesty you dont have to be. You arent going to know unless you are told. And really, if you are required to share your age just to get help or give help, then I doubt this mentor system will be able to reach its full potential as a helpful feature for the site ";/
Sumeragi's AvatarSumeragi
It's true that not everyone cares about age, but some people do. I can tell the difference of when a 10 year old tries to explain something to me versus someone who is 30 years old. Doing an age thing would accomodate those who DO care about ages while those who don't care about age well... wouldn't care about this. And it's true that there are other ways to connect with other people, I was merely stating that the age thing is something they would be able to connect over almost immediately since two 22 year olds are the same age in life and tend to be going through similiar things. Granted this is not every case in the world, but it provides a mutual understanding between the two parties. For example: A 10 year old is unlikely to have a job where a 22 year old would. A 10 year old hasn't been through their teenaged years where a 22 year old has. They could connect a bit over grade-school, but the 10 year old is currently going through it where the 22 year old would say "I remember when I was 10 we did this and this..." and sure it sometimes can be interesting and informative, but sometimes the 10 year old would feel a bit belittled. So the relationship would probably strictly be "come to me if you have any questions" and really go no further than that (with the expection of the pfq connection). And like I said, I understand both sides of the story in a sense. But I do feel that putting people in similiar age groups would be best, with the mind that a couple years apart is okay.
Duskar's AvatarDuskar
You keep mentioning that you’re under 18, Cyndavlosion, and I think we get it. You want to be a mentor, it’s just been personally bugging me that you keep going on about it, no hard feelings meant :0
Misunderstanding, to be clarified :0
However, age can actually mean a lot. As Calcanthite said, it’s generally pretty easy to tell the difference between a 10 year old speaking and a 20 year old speaking. Generally. You’ll find that adults are more likely than a child to adapt to a situation - as an adult, you have more experiences and knowledge to pull from. You can go ‘oh, this person doesn’t understand this, so I’ll explain it completely differently’. You’ll find that children usually stick to a simpler vocabulary, and ‘child’ words can be completely different to ‘adult’ words [no not talking about cursing >_>]. For example, try asking an average child and an average adult about how a car works - they’ll most likely give two different answers. Yes I understand that children can be ‘mature’, however, child maturity and adult maturity are two different things in my mind. Speaking in general, children have less experience guiding another person - acting as a mentor - than an adult. Again, adults have more experiences to pull from - their own childhood. Additionally, I don’t think ‘time played’ is that good an indicator. Nor is ‘recent time played’. Someone can leave for a few months, maybe even weeks, and have to relearn a bunch of things. How much you ‘play’ a week can easily be manipulated - not pointing fingers at anyone. As an example, I always have PFQ open in a tab on whatever browser window I’m on. When I’m browsing the internet, or playing other webgames or whatever I will typically check in on PFQ and refresh the page, thus making me ‘active’. Altermatively, you could also have someone who posts all the time on the forums, but not know a thing about the core of the game itself - maybe they don’t even know about contests [somehow?] Or maybe an active person really only shiny/melan/albibo hunts, and is thus out of touch with the forum side of things. A newbie needs more than an active person - they need someone who is familiar with a large majority of site fearures, and who isn’t afraid to direct the newbie to someone more knowledgeable, rather than just saying ‘idk’. The wiki can only do so much. And the way it’s worded isn’t always obvious to me personally sometimes. A newbie may be, and I loathe using this as an example, someone with a mental condition which affects the way they think [Autism, for example]. As someone who is autistic, I suck at understanding written things. I need someone who can give physical demonstrations to help me understand. And not everyone is willing to meet me halfway in that respect. So that possibly makes this an issue, in that mentors need to be willing to change to the situation. I’d write more but I gotta get back to work :0
🇦🇺 he/him they/them (unlicensed) | 21+ ||Avatar is official Ace Attorney anime screencap||
Lyra's AvatarLyra
I think age can be important it really depends on how far you want to go. Like above is mentioned a 10 year old explain things a lot easyer and different then a 22 year old would do. I may speak for myself but I actully feel more comfterable with talking people who are a bit younger then me (2-3 years) c:. For some reason that has always been like that even when I was 10, I liked to talk to kids when they are 8. When I was 18 I liked to talk with peole that are 16. What I want to say is that I think that older people can mentore younger people, I mean with a scool system a older person is also teaching childeren. I think a bigger problem arise when a kid of 12 is trying to mentor a adult of say 25. I know not everyone is acting like there age, but genarly speaking they do. I think a child won't be able to completly connect or actully be able to mentor somone who is much older. I can't really put my finger on it ^^'. But I think a child would find it much more difficult to explain things in a good way to a adult. A child talking to a child will go fine, because they talk on the same level c:. I do think that some age restrication should be placed. I am not talking about 18+, but 12+ or 15+ might be handy. I mean withouth age restraction at all you can get a 8 year old to metore somone, I don't think I would feel comftarble if that would happen. So young they can be verry volnurable. That is my two cents in the matter of the mentoring and age.
Beatifull signature and avatar made by Ryuokowolf c:.
Crazy's AvatarCrazy
I was just thinking,woud mentors who had broken rules to the point of locks or something be able to be mentors? I mean possibly have a cool down period after the lock to see if the behaviour has changed but I dont feel like people who have had current locks/recent locks should be in charge of helping someone?
Avatar made circe ^^ Help with some research?

Pages: 123456··· 141516

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page