PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

Joshua Kiryu's AvatarJoshua Kiryu
Ok fine i will try to address some things that I feel like I can give an answer. I'll preface this with the concept art that may clear up some things? Or not. Seems people are offput by the door's face, I was trying to draw inspriation from some classic mons like voltorb and gengar for the eyes/teeth, if that makes any sense. I know object mons aren't for everyone and I knew that going into this lol. If I didn't respond to your post then it just means I didn't have anything meaningful to add that I don't think can't be addresssed by the rest of this post. Not trying to single anyone out.

QUOTE originally posted by Nightmøn

Also I would still be curious about portalgheist, I still didn't got an answer on this one. Why a door with a face when it could have been more than that?
More than what? It's a possessed antique door. That's just what it is. Sometimes things are simple by design to make them recognizable and get the idea accross effectively.

QUOTE originally posted by D33RG0D5

The door has like a troll face or something I don't even know what it is but it doesnt match. It's a cool design and all but still doesnt match with the pre stage if you ask me. If the pre-stage was some door troll or more human face then it would make since BUT...its like the lion vanished and this totally confusions me and probable a lot of other people. However, the lion is placed in the sprite from what I can see! I can see this slightly as its the doors nose? Correct me if I am wrong but because it is so tiny no-one will notice that at all.
The knocker is supposed to have both lion-ish and goblin-ish features from real life doorknockers, it's not purely animal. There's plenty of pokemon that have quite different facial features upon evolution. And you are correct, the door has the leftover "shell" of the original knocker on it, and it becomes very simplified. I don't think it's fair to claim that "no one will notice it" because, well, you did, and I've had other people notice it as well. I specifically made that detail the only thing that's the same color as a clue to what happened.

One idea I thought of is the smoke around it could have been formed into a lion so it look like prestage was a spirit and was infused with the door

QUOTE originally posted by Çelestanê

You could make it into so much more, add some connections with Mocknock, it can be a door with a roaring lion ghost which loves to spook everyone

it could look smth like this in its calm state

I appreciate the ideas but I think you guys are focusing too much on the lion aspect. It's essentially a possessed hunk of metal.

QUOTE originally posted by moodawdaw

the colors for mocknock are errmm.. not so great. i couldnt really tell what it was at first until i realized after a while. i usually love objectmons but this was not executed very well. there were many cool ways to go about the concept of both of them, especially for portalgiest... its a door. its sprited very well, but it looks like its a generic door sprite from a random game with a face on it. (and the sprite for portalgiest is also gigantic). the evolution family look completely unrelated, from a metal-like lion creature to a slab of wood.
The green color is reminscent of a copper patina. I can't really comment any further on the colors if you don't say what exactly it is you don't like about it. What would you suggest to make it feel less generic? I did want to include some fleur de lis metal crossbars seen in the original concept but they ended up getting cut in the revision stage. I disgree that they're that widely unrelated. The knocker possesses the door it's attached to when it evolves.
100/∞ || Shop Journal || Free Art
Ultra power bar 4.03%
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page