PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Backup improvement idea & plan

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive > Backup improvement idea & plan >

Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
Subsequent to this announcement, I've been investigating and logging things and I have an idea. As some of you have noticed, the backup tends to proceed smoothly until it hits about 65%, at which point it stalls before resuming for a smooth finish. That is the point at which it is backing up Pokémon data. Needless to say, there is a lot of it, but most notably there is a lot of timeline data. In fact, the pokemon.timeline data file accounts for just about 1/3rd of the entire backup, coming in at over 13GB. I have a multi-step plan to help resolve this, and ideally remove the need for backing it up at all - or more accurately, to allow it to be backed up less disruptively. 1. Remove pokemon.timeline from the backup list and see how that impacts the time. 2. Once it's been confirmed that this greatly improves backup speed, prepare the system for using a new storage mechanism for timeline entries. Specifically, files. Rather than putting it in the database, which is overkill for historical data that never changes, put it in files instead. The file system is backed up separately, using a slower method but without requiring the site to be taken offline. 3. There are a few things that need patching as they currently rely on timeline data. Most notably the "Trade Evolution" condition uses the timeline to find the most recent trade. This should be stored separately as a pointer on the Pokémon entry itself. This patching will also include loading the data from the new files in order to display them on the Summary. 4. Gradually migrate existing data into this new file structure. 5. After confirming it all works, delete the old timeline system. Step 1 is being implemented today, and we'll see with tomorrow's backup what the result is. Further updates will be posted as they become relevant. Thank you for your patience as work is done to improve your experience!
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page