PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Daily backup failure + potential changes

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive > Daily backup failure + potential changes >

Hey everyone! So I come with bad news. Yay! Well, good news and bad news. The good news is we've never actually needed one of backups that Sally made! Hooray for us! The bad news is we've not actually had any backups that Sally... Didn't make, I guess? (in full, anyway - it always crashed on the shelter information) This has been going on for... I don't know how long. Too long. One day is too long so that's not saying much... But. Yeaaaaahhh. That's only slightly terrifying... If we'd had a catastrophic failure of some sort then... Haaa. Oh boy. It's not like Niet doesn't have code to tell him if it fails, either - but because of the specific way that it's been crashing, it hasn't been telling him that it's been failing. What genius is this before mine eyes!?. He's gonna be making a separate process to check if Sally actually wins / loses the game of "backup", though, so in theory if it crashes again then he should be told. Image courtesy of Novie!
Now, on to the second part of this. So, the long story short is that the reason this has been happening is because of the length of time that is being taken to complete the backups. At this point, we're at about 20 minutes... That's... Uh. Longer than it was before. It used to be like 7 minutes... Oof. So, the thing here is that we can either continue with the daily backups now that we've fixed the problem or we could move it to being weekly, potentially. It would cut down the downtime and such. Obviously, as we grow, we are going to continue seeing the backup time increase. The more information there is on the site, the more stuff there is to backup, after all! So... That's the thought experiment - the question is... What do you guys want? Continue with the daily backup or change over to weekly? [Adding a poll in a moment so feel free to answer via that] Thank you for reading ~<3
Edit: Updates have been made to the way the site is backed up - we've shortened the time down from 20 minutes, to 10 minutes! :D I'd edit the poll to reflect this information but you can't edit polls :p
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page