PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in A Sardonic Snek's Productivity Theory

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Journals > Staff > A Sardonic Snek's Productivity Theory >

Suríya's AvatarSuríya
Art by Naiyala
Regarding "Guides" meant to direct people to shops and users for purchasing items, services or pokemon...
This is a response to a PM I got by a concerned user who shared their thoughts with me. I thought I would change a few things to make it anonymous to the user who PM'd me but also share what I told them to explain why these things are not something that should be posted publically but instead kept for the individual's records.

Explanation of Deletions Reasons...

I don't mind clarifying at all. In fact, feel free to share my response with the other people who were upset with its removal. First though, I would like to point out that it wasn't just my decision. I was simply the one that went ahead and removed the thread after staff discussed it. Staff work as a team, I don't get to just decide that things need deleted, that would be abuse of my power and I'm not willing to lose my job for that. ^^;; I'm not a forum mod, it had to go through all of the Forum Mods (especially Constantine) as well as the other staff before it was removed -- and it wasn't even me that brought it up, I just happened to have the section of the forum open at the time. Before I get into the reasons I would like to point out that the Melan Dexing Directory serves a purpose as a sort of off-shoot from the Free Dexing Clan as they don't have a comprehensive Melanistic area (most people to dont want to give those out for free as it is). The Gem Swapping "Guide" is also under review for the same reason as the Summon "Guide". {This has since been deleted as well}

Not everyone edits or uses the Wiki, yet Uzumi's guide has been there for 2 years. Not everyone shiny hunts, yet Uzumi's guide for that has been long-lasting too. Not everyone creates 90%+ breeding pairs, yet your guide has been there.
All of these guides provide information on how to do a thing yourself using the mechanics of the game or give advice that is helpful. Right then, onto the reasons Staff removed the Summon "Guide": 1.) The Summon "Guide" was not a guide for teaching someone to do a thing -- it was a listing. Guides are useful in that they teach a skill. This was a poorly kept listing/directory of who was hunting which summons and it didn't get updated regularly to reflect changes. In fact, with people's changing prerogatives it was/is vastly difficult/impossible to keep up to date. In fact, it wasn't up to date at all. 2.) A listing such as this caters to the people that are more well known than newer users with newer shops. In fact, the "guide" largely consisted of the same cluster of people in almost all of the high-dollar items, and completely missed many others that had been/are hunting the same summons for longer. In effect, it was very exclusionary to the people that weren't deemed worthy of being listed because those sharing who hunted what were going to the more popular shops. 3.) It's not helpful to the community at large because it excludes a vast majority of the community. It's helpful to a small minority of rather popular members of the site because they get all of the traffic and allow the monopolization of business. Without having just a small section of the userbase represented, the people looking to sell summons to others have to do more footwork and go into more shops to find what they need -- thus giving a small chance of them also finding other things they need. This helps to improve the overall user-to-user economy on site rather than boiling it down to a small group of people. We are supposed to work together, are we not? :) These were the major reasons we discussed in Staff before removing it. There were other, smaller reasons as well that don't really affect your understanding of the reasoning so I've opted to exclude them for the sake of a lengthy response. In the end, this is actually not a guide, it's more of a directory... similar to those that you find at Department Stores. If the person who started it wishes to continue putting it together for their personal reference, and the reference of those they share it with through their Journal, that's fine -- but it is not a guide and for the reasons above, it was removed by staff as a whole. I would also like to point out that you can, in fact, link to single posts in your own Journal and put them on About Me's, Trainer Cards, and signatures and people can find that post just fine by clicking on it. There is no reason why this post could not be in a Journal. Hopefully this begins to clear up any confusion you had. Have a great day~
Ultimately all "Guides" attempting to do something similar to the Summon/Gem Swap thread will be removed for these reasons. These sorts of things are more usefully tracked by individuals for their own records instead of publicly posted and excluding a majority of the users on the site. It is simply not reasonable to expect someone to fish through all of the Shops on the site to keep these sorts of posts updated, nor is it fair to expect all shop owners or users on site to use the thread if they want their Shop on it. The goal is to work together and encourage interaction between people, and these threads prevent the less well-known people from getting 'foot'-traffic to their shops. Thank you for your understanding.
Current Hunt: Dunsparce (Mega) Chain Length: 360 — Shiny Total: 3 — Melans: 1/3
All UFT pokemon can be found in my fields. No trade PMs please.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page