PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Regarding Art Theft

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 111213

Blank Banshee's AvatarBlank Banshee
Since it appears to be an ongoing problem that begets an announcement, here is one.
Beginning April 9, 2014 (10 years ago) the RP setup forums will be closely monitored for art theft, and any cases found will be punished accordingly.
This means that if it isn't gone by that date, you're gone, end of story. Two weeks is given so more inactive users have time to log in and see this. Yes, this is a hardline take on it, but look at it like this. Posting art without a source (or, all forbid, claiming you made it) is theft, plain and simple. You're taking an artist's work, their effort and their time, and telling them "No, this is mine now." Either that, or "It isn't worth my effort to ask you permission." You're literally stealing something from someone. How is that okay? Answer: it isn't. So, on to what's going to happen and more importantly, what you can do.
If you're using art that isn't yours without proper source attribution. Remove the offending piece immediately. If you still wish to use it, read the 'Proper Source Attribution' section. If you're using art that isn't yours with something like "Credit to the artist" or sourcing sites such as any of the *boorus or weheartit and so on (archive sites). Remove the offending piece immediately. If you still wish to use it, read the 'Proper Source Attribution' section. If you're using art that was created for you. Provide a link to the person's page that created it (if on PF) or to the person's page on the original site (if not on PF). We will check these. If you're using art that is yours. Provide a link next to the image (if posted in a forum post) or in your signature (if an avatar) with a link to the original place you posted the art. If neither of these exist (as in if the art was made specifically for PF and not posted anywhere) simply claim yourself as the artist. However, remember that claiming this when you aren't the owner (claiming ownership falsely) will result in a permanent removal from the site.

Proper Source Attribution

If you still wish to use art that isn't yours, then there's a series of steps you need to follow.
  1. Finding Image Source Many resources exist to find the source of an image. Tineye and SauceNao are the two most popular. Simply upload the file from your computer (or provide the image URL in Tineye's case) and the site will display all places the image is used. If these fail to bring up any places the image is used, then it's time to look manually. If you still can't find it, don't use the image at all.
  2. Asking Permission After finding the artist's original gallery or site, find their contact information and contact them regarding permission to use one of their pieces. Feel free to link to PFQ, if you wish. Some artists aren't as active as others; it's wise to not post the image until you receive permission rather than posting and saying you're waiting on permission.
  3. Attribution Example After contacting the artist and receiving permission, now it's time to properly attribute. Simply take a screenshot (if you don't know how to take a screenshot, firstly welcome to the 21st century and secondly read this) of the PM, note, email, or whatever, and link to it right under the image. Or above, or to the right, it really doesn't matter.

Source Attributation Example

It's that simple. See this for further information on why this is such an important rule for us to enforce:

QUOTE originally posted by Eltafez

After a bit of research, I found this explanation to be very helpful. And perhaps this might blow people from their towers.

QUOTE originally posted by Sei

Excuse me for coming off a bit brash, but seriously.. how hard is this to understand? Every question here so far has been "but what about x? does that need to be credited?" It's not that difficult to understand. If you did not make it, you need to source it. If you just pulled it off google, you need to source it. If an image you are using is free to use or official content, then all that needs to be stated in a tooltip or something similar is 'btw this is free to use lol' or 'art is official' Any image that you found of google needs to be traced back to its original creator Google themselves even point out that images may be subject to copyright -- that they cannot confirm or deny that an image they have is free-to-use. We're not enforcing this rule because it's something we made up -- it's an actual law. Copyright is a big thing for a very good reason, and we're not about to ignore it. I know for a fact if I found a user using my artwork without my permission for a character reference for their RP I would literally flip tables. It's something that bothers me to no end - just "Yeah no. Fioré does not behave like that what are you doing to my beloved Leafeon Sona." Very few things make me see red immediately. This is one. It's incredibly disrespectful to have someone's artwork being used for something it was not designed for. I've already said it but I will restate it again. If you did not make something in your signature or avatar and you cannot get permission to use it from the original creator, remove it. I'm aware that some artists are inactive, but them's the breaks, as they say. You'll just have to consider yourself out of luck on using that particular image. If an artist has two account son the website, go with the account that been most active and just send them a polite note asking if you can use their image. It's courteous to ask for things that you want to borrow.
To clarify something, a gif like Is generally okay. Gifs that are from TV shows/anime/movies/whathaveyou and are generally acceptable to be used in your signature or About me section. Just credit them by saying something along the lines of "The Lion King(c) Disney" and you're good to go. After all, we don't expect you to send an email to Disney asking for permission to use a clip from their movie to use as a gif. While it would be impressive, it's incredibly unlikely that they'd respond.

QUOTE originally posted by Dracowolfie

(I was also curious in the case of character "adoptables" bought from another artist - while I'm not one who buys character designs, how would it make sense to have to credit the original artist? If you have paid for the art, the ownership of the design transfers to the buyer.)
You pretty much answered your own question here. Ownership has been transferred, so it's alright. :)
Voxumo's AvatarVoxumo
Does this also apply to art that is used in the 'About' section of userpages?
Keladry's AvatarKeladry
What about pictures that are sort of made by you and sort of made by other people? Ok, that doesn't make sense. What I'm wondering is can you use pictures of people that are Never mind, I'll just give an example since this is hard to explain. What about a person made with this website? You've sort of made the person, but someone else made the clothes and stuff.
Made by Sandslash666
Made by Luckytiger
Lopeajack's AvatarLopeajack
@Keladry Um... maybe just link to the site you made it on, and name the artist? Idk, it's like, when people make sites like that, you gotta figure they know others are going to use the art they compile.
Meu's AvatarMeu
If an image is official or free to use or edit (like the one in my signature), do we need to say anything about it? @Voxumo: It applies to everything. You should ALWAYS source art, even on other sites. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to understand this.
shop + journal + credit
if my journal is deleted: Art Credit: Avatar & About Me: Zan Forum Signature: Silver
phone lines follow us, like heartbeats in the dusk hold my hand and gush, sweet landscapes from the bus
Ah. I will follow this. um how do you do the thing when you scroll your cursor over a sprite, and then it shows where its from? like keladry's?

QUOTE originally posted by Voxumo

Does this also apply to art that is used in the 'About' section of userpages?
Unless it's something like a reaction gif, then yes.

QUOTE originally posted by Keladry

What about pictures that are sort of made by you and sort of made by other people? Ok, that doesn't make sense. What I'm wondering is can you use pictures of people that are Never mind, I'll just give an example since this is hard to explain. What about a person made with this website? You've sort of made the person, but someone else made the clothes and stuff.
They must be cited as a source, but you don't need to provide permission.

QUOTE originally posted by Rose Lalonde

If an image is official or free to use or edit (like the one in my signature), do we need to say anything about it?
Just state that it is official art and where it's from. If we doubt it, we'll just get in contact with the source.
Question: If I was the one who commissioned the piece I am using for an avatar, and I can provide proof, is a link to a conversation necessary in the "used with permission" part?
Avatar made by me. Mega Houndoom © Nintendo/GAMEFREAK. Melanistic idea © PFQ

QUOTE originally posted by Argent Lyal XIII

Question: If I was the one who commissioned the piece I am using for an avatar, and I can provide proof, is a link to a conversation necessary in the "used with permission" part?
It's preferred, because it means less work on our end.
Right, then I shall get on that immediately.

Pages: 123··· 111213

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page